Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

What is a labcorp stat panel #7 hair test...due to a dilute

Customer Question

What is a labcorp stat panel #7 hair test...due to a dilute urine screen this week I was required to do this. What does it test for? I occasionally use ativan, not more than once a week, rare xanax, once or twice I've taken percocet and lorcet. Once, a few years ago I was tested for a drug that I took every day and it came back negative for use. Could that be a possibility with this test, that it would be negative? I was also told at the lab that since I color my hair, it will be negative anyway. I've read so many different things about this i'm confused.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
On the Labcorp test menu site, there is no test by this name.
Is this test being done as part of a specific program?
Does the order include a CPT code (a five digit number)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is part of a monitoring program thru Affinity e health. I don't see a cpt code I was given an authorization # XXXXX the name of the panel. The price was $125 plus $25 lab fee if that helps.
Since this is not a standard Labcorp test, it is apparently a specific panel that has been developed in negotiation with Affinity eHealth. Therefore, I cannot determine the specific drugs that are assessed with this panel.

If it will help, I can address the remaining questions.
Let me know if this would be helpful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes that would be very helpful. These tests I've mentioned above were all hair tests. I've looked at my lab sheet, and i'm not sure where to find the.cpt code, if there is one
Many labs, including Labcorp, will develop specific testing panels for their customers, which will allow for customization of testing according to the needs of the program.

In general, though, Labcorp follows a two step testing procedure for hair drug testing, first performing testing by using a screening test for the drugs being assessed and then performing confirmation with gas chromatography/mass spectrometry (GC/MS) on any specimens that are positive on the screening test. Some labs will routinely only perform the more accurate confirmatory test, and the client can request Labcorp to do so, but the usual mechanism for Labcorp is to perform the two step testing method.

This is important to your questions because the screening tests, whether of urine or hair, have a fair amount of inaccuracy, both with false positives and false negatives. The false positives generate the greatest concern, since it is undesirable to accuse an innocent person of drug use, which is why a confirmatory test is done on any positive result. However, the false negatives mean that someone that is taking a drug is not detected by the test, so may pass the test despite usage of the drug.

Part of the reason for the false negatives is that many of the commonly used drugs are chemically different than the primary drug in that category. For example, the test for opiates is looking for morphine, and is generally very good at detecting morphine and those drugs that are converted to morphine in the body, such as codeine and heroin. However, the screening test is not good at detecting the synthetic or semi-synthetic opiates, such as hydrocodone or oxycodone, so is frequently missed.

Hair drug testing also can easily miss occasional use of a drug, particularly single uses of a drug. As the use of the drug increases, then the likelihood of detection increases.

In your case, it is very possible that the test could miss the drugs that you are taking because of the false negative rate associated with the screening test.

From the standpoint of the effect of coloring the hair on testing, there is no evidence that coloring the hair will result in a negative result. There are people that claim anecdotal support of this effectiveness by having passed a test, but some people pass tests without coloring their hair, such as for the reasons noted above. There also are many people that have failed the drug test despite coloring their hair. Coloring the hair is not a reliable method for passing a hair drug test.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Expert:  Family Physician replied 1 year ago.
I would have to disagree with part of the previous answer:

There is in fact some evidence that cosmetic hair treatment (bleaching and dyeing) can have some effect on the concentration of drugs in the hair. While this effect is well documented, this would not cause a negative test in all cases. This could potentially reduce the levels in someone who used a drug only occasionally below the threshold of detection.

Here is an article on this issue:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9228567
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much, you've been extremely helpful. These tests are confusing. A couple of years ago when I was taking naltrexone...on a daily basis, and witnessed, it never showed on a hair test. They attributed it to hair dye but I never got a definite answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX was very helpful and explained a lot. I cannot understand why, several years ago when I was taking daily witnessed naltrexone, it did not show up on a hair test. They attributed it to hair dye. Very expensive.test!
Naltrexone is typically NOT included in hair tests. It is also important to understand that not all drugs are deposited to the same degree in hair. Some drugs are more easily identified in hair tests, while others are difficult to detect even with daily use.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX is appreciated. It was a special, expensive test, and they said they had never had problems with it before. It did show up in a nail analysis test, which was even more expensive. Still puzzled on that one.
The color of your hair, hair treatments and individual variations in metabolism of a particular drug can cause these false negatives.
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience: Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

.what is a hair stat 12 test thru affinity, the specimens are sent to labcorp....

Expert:  Family Physician replied 6 months ago.
I do not find any definitive information on this particular panel, however I suspect it contains the following drugs:

Marijuana, amphetamine, methamphetamine, ecstasy (MDMA), cocaine, opiates (morphine, codeine, 6-acetyl morphine - a heroin metabolite), PCP, oxycodone, hydrocodone, hydromorphone

Unfortunately, without directly contacting the laboratory, there is no way to confirm this.

Is there a particular drug you are concerned about?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for your response, I'm sorry I've taken so long to reply. I was concerned about xanax and ativan. I've taken 1-2 mg a week for months. Hair stat panel 7 was negative when I was tested in May, while taking the same meds. I do have dyed hair and I've read this can alter this test.

Use of hair dye and other cosmetic treatments will NOT cause false positives for any drug on a drug test.