Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician

My nasal cavity and throat get really dry, and I start dry

My nasal cavity and throat get really dry, and I start dry retching. This usually only happens when I go outside. I get out of breath and everything starts drying up starting in my nasal cavity and moves down my throat. Occasionally, it happens when I'm at home.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 11 months ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-

Do you have post nasal drip?
Do you suffer from running nose?
Do you suffer from breathing discomfort when you go outside?
Do you have chest pain?
Have you undergone any medical investigations?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No post nasal drip or runny nose.
I get out of breath when I walk outside. For instance walking from the parking lot to a store will tire me out, and everything starts to dry up and I start to feel myself wanting to gag. If I'm in the car with the window open, I'm fine.
No chest pain.
It's worse on less humid days. I was fine the past few days (but I was at home). Then, yesterday walking from the parking lot to my dr.'s office, I got out of breath and started dry retching in his office. Lucky him! I was there to see him for high prolactin. He asked a series of questions but was perplexed. He referred me for an MRI of my pituitary gland for my high prolactin and thought maybe we could learn more from that.
It started with just feeling gaggy when it was really dry here because of the winds. Then, I started dry retching one day. I flew to Alaska that night, and everyone was telling us how unusually dry it had been there. I had some more dry retching episodes. My nose was really dry until I started using nasal spray. That seemed to help, but it hasn't completely gone away. For the most part, I'm fine until I walk outside.
Dear Customer, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.

Usually such symptom occur with adverse environmental conditions.
Environmental causes like breathing very dry air is common cause.

Another condition, known as Sjorgen’s syndrome could also lead to a dry nose and throat, You should get tested for this condition.

Kindly follow these measures-

1. You should use a nasal saline spray as needed to moisturize the nasal passages. Saline nasal sprays are available as over-the-counter without prescription.Water-based lubricants help prevent further dryness,redness irritation and cracking of the nose.

2. Keeping a humidifier running in your room or using an over-the-counter salt-water spray (inhaled through the nose) five or six times a day can provide dramatic relief.

3. Saline water can provide considerable relief from dry nose symptoms. Just instill some saline water in your nasal cavity, to add moisture to your nasal passage. Use this dry nose remedy at least for three- four times a day.

4. Rubbing a small amount of sesame oil in the nose helps to relieve irritation and dryness.

5. Sauna baths would be helpful. The steam and humidity of a sauna bath act as a natural humidifier, which relieve the symptoms caused by a dry nose.

6. You should drink lot of fluids (preferably warm).

7. You should have some Chicken soup, it is rich in many nutrients and heats up the nasal passage.

I would suggest you to follow these measures, and please consult ENT doctor for clinical evaluation and get it managed.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you.
Dear Customer,

Most Welcome and Thanks for using justanswer service.

Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician