Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS.MD

I am a 57 year old woman who has had a cold and sore throat

I am a 57 year old woman who has had a cold and sore throat for 2 days. For the most part, my symptoms are easing up, but I feel like I have fluid and pressure in my ears. Everything sounds like it's under water. Anything I can do to help with the ear problem?

Welcome and thank you for the question.

It is likely that the Eustahcian tube which connects the throat to the ears is blocked. this tube aids in maintaining the air pressure inside the ear - blockage would cause the air pressure to build up and cause the symptoms. A block would also prevent fluid from draining out of the ear.

Please gargle with warm salt water to help the tube to open up. You can also use nasal decongestants available without a prescirption like Claritin to help open up the tubes. Take ibuprofen to decrease inflammaiton inside the tubes.

Yawning or chewing gum may also help open up the tubes.

If you see no improvement in 48 hours, please consult a doctor - you may need antibiotics.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I had a sinus infection a few months ago and had a similar
ear problem. A doctor gave me prednisone and it seemed to help. Any thoughts on using prednisone?
Prednisone is a steroid which can decrease inflammation.But steroids have a number of side effects and should not be used as the first line of treatment. It is only if decongestants and anti-inflammatories fail to give relief that steroids should be used.

Please use the Claritin - it will be as effective as the steroids.