Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

2 weeks ago I got a laceration on my index finger....it was

2 weeks ago I got a laceration on my index finger....it was fairly deep...I have kept it clean (with gentian violet) and use a knuckle bandaid and do not keep a bandage when I'm home--sleeping , etc. How long will it take for it to heal? I'm 65 and in excellent health?

Hello and Welcome to Just Answer.

Thank you for the question. Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a Medical Internist (who deals with diseases of all the organ systems of body) and I will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Do you feel any discharge from the wound?

Fever?

How deep was the laceration?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
None of the above...it stopped bleeding immediately.....it was not that deep...I'm just concerned about how long it takes for it to knit.

Thank you very much for the useful information.

This is variable.

Depends upon the depth of the wound, any infections hitting that area, treatment taken, generalized well being of the patient.

In genera, a minor laceration should heal completely with in 2-4 weeks.

However, if this does not, it may require suturing (stitching) which helps fill in the gap between the two margins of the skin (which allows it to heal rapidly).

If not already, there is no harm in getting this examined by your doctor (primary care physician) and let him determine if this needs suturing/antibiotics etc.

Keep the affected area dry and clean meanwhile.

I would have been worried too if I were at your place, but let me reassure you that this is a treatable condition and carries a good prognosis with appropriate management.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Now when I bend my finger I feel pain...............is this to be expected?

Hello again.

Yes, some degree of pain is expected until the healing is complete.

And the pain may even persist for longer even after complete healing of wound but must eventually disappear.

I hope this clarifies.

Goodluck.