Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

greetings Doctor. my question is in regard to irritable bowel

greetings Doctor. my question is in regard to 'irritable bowel syndrome' which my wife has been diagnosed. she has had chronic digestive problems for four years and has had all tests known, results are normal. she has been through a series of treatments with antbiotics and then 'good' bacterial prescriptions. she has also had food intolerance tests with nothing conclusive. the latest Specialts again prescribed a broad spectrum antbiotic to kill everything and then see what happens. we are refusing to do this again.
she has diarrhoea all the time, 4 to 5 times a day, and when she passes wind it has an extremely potent odour.
please advise what next or, refer me to a specialist gastro doctor.
many thanks,
Craig
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear about your wife's discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-

Has she tried any changes in dietary habits?
Is she suffering from severe emotional stress or anxiety issue?
What was the opinion of gastro doctor?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
we have tried changes in dietary habits but results are inconclusive. remember that she has had a range of food intolerancy tests with nothing shown as being problematic.

She has had very little major stress in her life and none for the last four years. She may worry about little things of domestic nature, like what to have for dinner !

Gastro doctor (two of them)said 'Irritable Bowel Syndrome'.

hope this helps
Dear Craig, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
I'm so sorry to hear about your wife's discomfort.

I agree with Gastro doctor's that her symptoms are suggestive of 'Irritable Bowel Syndrome'.

Exact cause for this condition is still not known, but few determining factors can be considered such as-
-Bacterial infection or irritation of the stomach and intestines caused by bacteria.
-Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO)
-Slow motility
-Food sensitivity

Yes, she need to be given a course of antibiotics, to kill any leftover intestine infection.

She need to take Psyllium, it is a natural vegetable fiber.
Sometime milk products worsen the condition, if she have any symptoms from them, then avoid it.

Also stress aggravate it, so practice yoga and meditation. Also she need to go for breathing exercises, for relaxation. Avoid anxiety and stress.

She should avoid processed foods. These may contain 'resistant starch' which is difficult for your body to digest. She should Cut down on foods rich in insoluble fiber, such as wholemeal bread, wholegrain rice and cereals containing bran. She should avoid foods such as beans, cabbage, or uncooked cauliflower or broccoli.

She need to be prescribed with Antispasmodic medicines such as mebeverine hydrochloride (eg Colofac)alverine citrate.

The prescription medications approved for the treatment of IBS are: Alosetron (Lotronex),Lubiprostone (Amitiza).Medications that affect certain activities of the autonomic nervous system (anticholinergics)are very effective in relieving the abdominal pain or stomach ache.

Also Getting regular, vigorous exercises, will make bowel movements regular.Sometimes doctor prescribe - Anti anxiety or anti -depressants drugs, These can also cure the symptoms.

Proper dietary control should be done.
Best bet is - Get her diet schedule managed from dietitian.
She should consult Gastro doctor and discuss this issue with them. Yes, she can be given broad spectrum antibiotic for management of this issue.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks for the reply. i need to read and 'digest' (sorry!) the details as they sound familiar with what we have already been told. FYI my wife is very active and goes to gym as well as runs. she runs two marathons per year as well as some 10k and half-marathons. so excercise should not be a problem.
thanks and bye for now,
Craig
Dear Craig, I can understand your concern.

She has to follow the measures, as advised above and also go for dietary changes as suggested in last post.

She should consult Gastro doctor and discuss this issue with them. She can be given broad spectrum antibiotic for management of this issue.