Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Like several dozen people I have found on various sites, I

Like several dozen people I have found on various sites, I have had vibrations in my legs and feet for many, many months and the sensation is noticeable when I relax, not when I am walking, somewhat when I am standing but only if I think of it. Recently I noticed it occurred at the top of my left leg and lower left area under my abdomen. Then it occurred somewhere under my left breast but hard to identify exactly where, and these were several second on, several off, then on in a regular pattern that was not associated with my breathing or heartbeat because I checked both and even raise my heart rate to make sure. I have met with my M.D. to inquire. he got a blood panel (normal except for high b6) and took me off vitamin b6 supplement that I had been taking for cubical tunnel syndrome. Are a month I thought that things had changed in my legs (symptoms less often, not continuous) but that's when the groin then chest symptoms came. I am now getting off caffeine. If that doesn't work I will remove sugar. If that doesn't work I will go to my neurologist. Any ideas?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Mysticdoc :

Mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

Customer: Hi
Mysticdoc :

Vitamin B12 deficiency is one possibility.

Mysticdoc :

This should be checked.

Mysticdoc :

Thyroid gland disorder, diabetes also cause nerve related symptoms.

Customer: I forgot to mention that the sensation in my chest wall area subsided over several days. W had actually found high levels of B6 because I had been supplementing it because of the cubical tunnel syndrome.
Customer: b6 was checked
Mysticdoc :

Peripheral neuropathy can be caused by the spine disease --degenerative disc disease is one common cause.

Customer: bloodchecked blood sugar was fine
Mysticdoc :

B12 is different from B6

Mysticdoc :

B12 is cyanocobalamine

Customer: ifiner think everything was fine except the B6 but I can double check to see if b12 was checked
Customer: yeschecked yes, I have found all of these things. I have not had weight loss or gain since I quit smoking five years ago and at that time I gained 4o lbs. am now just this side of obese at 184, 5.6. Have worried about diabetes but my cblood is checked frequently since I am on cholesterol statin meds.
Mysticdoc :

Ok then next possibility is the spine problem.

Customer: some of my response got erase. I said I will double check but I think my b12 level was normal too, if it was checked.
Mysticdoc :

Multiple sclerosis is another possibility can cause these type of symptoms uncommonly.

Customer: so how would I figure that out? I do not have any pain
Customer: wouldntpain wouldn't there be dizziness or fatigue with ms
Mysticdoc :

Not necessarily always.

Mysticdoc :

Peripheral neuropathy is likely.

Mysticdoc :

A nerve conduction study should be helpful.

Customer: Sorry, the autocorrect is strange. I do not have pain, I am not dizzy, my eyesight has not changed except for a couple of extra floaters due to a normal retinal change due to age (had it checked)
Mysticdoc :

Then based on neurological findings MRI scan of the brain and spine will be next step

Customer: ok that is wat my doc said we would do, though he agreed I should get off caffeine to see how that goes.
Mysticdoc :

Yes that is true --caffeine should be eliminated.

Mysticdoc :

do you drink alcohol?

Mysticdoc :

Please avoid alcohol also as it can affect the nerves.

Mysticdoc :

Lastly, Statins can cause peripheral neuropathy in some individuals.

Customer: I got booted off temporarily, so let me scroll through to see what I missed.
Mysticdoc :

Hence, this is another concern that should be considered if your problem persists.

Mysticdoc :

Ok--no problem

Mysticdoc :

I can repost if you want

Customer: All the conversation is gone.
Mysticdoc :

ok let me repost

Customer: Can you copy and paste it all?
Mysticdoc :

Statins can cause peripheral neuropathy.

Mysticdoc :

AHence, if caffeine is not the culprit, the statin can be the cause.

Mysticdoc :

Also avoid alcohol.

Mysticdoc :

Alcohol can affect the nerves.

Customer: Hmmm. I don't drink often enough or in large enough quantities for that to be the issue since the symptoms are fairly persistent and I may go weeks without even a glass of wine but then have wine three evenings in one week--like a large wine goblet or two.
Customer: but the statin thing...I have been on for many years. Does that accumulate?
Customer: I am not drinking as much milk nowadays since I switched to soy milk. A friend told me that soy can be bad for people with thyroid problems. On a regular blood panel, IATE thyroid levels...thyroxine?? ...checked?
Mysticdoc :

long term use of statin can affect the nerves.

Customer: That should have read are thyroid levels checked on a blood test along with cholesterol, etc.
Mysticdoc :

regarding the soy effect, if your TSH level is normal, then no need for concern.

Customer: Okay, I will find out. I will also ask about the statin. I hope that is not the case because without the sim satin my cholesterol Hal goes up, though LDL is also high. All is now very low, like 129 -140.
Mysticdoc :

Ok.

Mysticdoc :

There are alternatives to statin if needed in future.

Mysticdoc :

Your cholesterol numbers are in control now.

Customer: Just in case , can you name a statin alternative, and then I think. I probably have about all the information you can give me without having a visit.
Mysticdoc :

Fenofibrate is one such example.

Mysticdoc :

Ezetimibe is another.

Mysticdoc :

Niacin is another one.

Customer: Cholesterol levels are terrific now, and so is the fat level (cannot recall the name of the fat in the blood). Glucose normal, and so on.
Customer: thanks. Niacin is in a lot of food, isn't it?
Customer: i also take Claritin daily. Could that be a culprit?
Mysticdoc :

Claritin is not the problem.

Mysticdoc :

Triglycerides --you are talking about.

Mysticdoc :

Yes niacin is in the foods also in supplement form.

Customer: by the way, my brother had a neurological condition and so did Murphy mom. Mom had Elton lambert syndrome (for a record 51/2 years before lung cancer hit) and my brother has a mystifying condition that causes doubl vision, vertigo to the point of falling, and terrible weight loss, some grand mal seizures for awhile. He is on four meds, and the weight loss is not thought to be cause by the meds because the one that would cause it is being given to him at a very low dose.
Customer: That is my brother HAs a condition
Customer: and my mom had eaton lambert for five and a half years. I hate autocorrect.
Mysticdoc :

ok i got that.

Mysticdoc :

Well Eaton Lambert is different in presentation.

Mysticdoc :

And your symptoms are not yet severe without any other features.

Customer: i used to get cluster migraines but not since menopause, for the most part, only a very occasional medium level migraine. No, my symptoms are merely annoying.
Customer: a little scary when they went to the chest area
Customer: Are we done then?
Mysticdoc :

Still, these are not consistently present together--that is reassuring.

Mysticdoc :

I think we covered all the points for now.

Customer: right.
Customer: Thank for your help. Will this conversation be saved in my account or do I need to cut and paste it, because I jolts the first half
Customer: Lost the first half
Mysticdoc :

This should be saved in your account after you rated the chat.

Mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Please rate the chat Good or Excellent, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Customer: Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX a good "listener."
Mysticdoc :

very welcome

Mysticdoc :

glad to be of help

Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD