Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD

Hey Im having an issue, whic Im sure is just mental, more

Hey I'm having an issue, whic I'm sure is just mental, more on the erection part. I'm having some inconsistency in my erections during the day. I'm 24 Years old. I did go through a break up in early January and didn't seem to have a concern about that time. I slept with a girl I met in February, and all confidence was a go. Then went through some stressful event of being sick end of february through March and had difficulty achieving a boner because i was concerned about my health, which ended up being a wasted time of worry.

It seemed all systems were a go again back in April, was getting them non stop. (erections). However recently, I have been struggling to work one up just thinkning about it. I did have sex with the same girl I did in February 2 weekends ago and I was drinking that night and achieved 110% full erection and had the same feeling in the morning and was able to last 2 hours in that period.

I've been waking up with them, but seems like it's been a bit difficult to masterbate during the day. Am I psychologicaly messing myself up?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Mysticdoc :

Mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

Mysticdoc :

THis is likely psychological.

Mysticdoc :

Since you are able to achieve full erection in certain times, this suggests no problem in the penis.

Mysticdoc :

Psychological issues like anxiety will interfere with your erection.

Customer: How do you reverse this issue?
Mysticdoc :

You can consider anti anxiety medication on as needed basis.

Customer: I mean, I don't mean to get into full detail, but 2 weeks ago, I was wondering if things were broken, then I went out and met up with the girl, and instantly, it came back and loved it.
Customer: Thing is, I was taking Celexa back in nov. 2011 for like 3 months, and I got off it, and felt better for a year
Customer: I'm thinking maybe it's the break up?
Mysticdoc :

yes break up is causing this new panxiety problem

Customer: Reason I got put on celexa, is I was hving anxiety attacks from taking Pre-workout nitric oxide supplements
Mysticdoc :

ok

Mysticdoc :

celexa may be started again for short term.

Customer: I never really had anxiety in my life until the withdrawel from those supps
Mysticdoc :

that is expected

Mysticdoc :

but this is a temporary phase

Customer: I don't want to start any medication like that because Celexa, at the time I had a GF, was reducing my sex life at the time.
Customer: Is it bad that it's been 5 months and I'm struggling with inconsistency?
Mysticdoc :

Ok --in that case, you can consider some counseling sessions.

Mysticdoc :

It is not bad.

Mysticdoc :

sometimes, it takes time to get over

Customer: Thing is, I thought I was over it, and want to pursue the same girl that I've been with the past few times/
Customer: However I saw masturbation as one of the few normal stress relieveers in my life after work, along with working out in the gym
Customer: Usually most men deal with performance anxiety, that part never troubles me.
Mysticdoc :

It may take some time for you to move on, but you are on the right track

Customer: I just don't want this "personal issue" to carry over into my future and possibly next relationship
Customer: I thought I was back to form back in April where I was getting them constantly, then like I hit a wall all of a sudden then slept with the girl and now, this past week am back at that "wall"
Mysticdoc :

consider some counseling sessions to get over with it

Customer: The fact that I';m getting them at night and actually during my sexual encounter, I'm not physically at risk then?>
Mysticdoc :

no this is not physical problem.

Mysticdoc :

you an try benzos like lorazepam before these episodes on as needed basis.

Mysticdoc :

Discuss with your doctor also.

Customer: Anything I can do naturally or take to boost this
Mysticdoc :

You can try valerian root to calm you down.

Customer: Anything natural and not an anti-anxiety med? I don't want to keep running to my doctor about non physical issues. I was just there for what happened to be a benign lymph node on the side of my neck, which is from sinus congestion
Mysticdoc :

Valerian root is natural

Customer: At first I thought that little pellet of a node had something to do with the whole inconsistency stimulation
Customer: What is that exactly and what does it do?
Customer: can I have some inforamtion about the product and where I can find it?
Mysticdoc :

lymph node can be felt as small node.

Customer: Right but it was the size of a bb
Mysticdoc :

still this is not serious.

Customer: Oh yeah I know. I was just stating
Customer: I first thought that had an issue with it, but I dont think so
Mysticdoc :

not related

Customer: Correct. The valerian root? Can I get some information about htat?
Customer: that)
Mysticdoc :

Valerian root is taken at 80 to 160 mg daily.

Mysticdoc :

Suppose to have some anti anxiety property.

Mysticdoc :

There is some risk of liver injury.

Mysticdoc :

No anti anxiety supplement is totally safe.

Customer: Thats over the counter correct
Mysticdoc :

yes

Customer: Anything natural I can do ? If nothing is totally safe? I do use that Bach Natural Rescue Remedy
Customer: time to time
Mysticdoc :

Even that also not fully safe.

Mysticdoc :

However, ocasional or short term use should not be a problem.

Mysticdoc :

More exercises will help.

Customer: Well as long as it's not physical....then I should be alright.
Mysticdoc :

yes you should be

Customer: I just don't understand how I can go from a sexual stimulated individual constantly, then it seems I need to be in the act just to get stimulated or assleep
Mysticdoc :

it is just a phase.

Mysticdoc :

do not worry

Customer: haha that seems easier said than done
Mysticdoc :

true

Mysticdoc :

but more worrying will not help

Customer: Any natural foods that help build it back up? I mean I used to take those supplements called t up
Customer: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/nutrex/t-up-black.html
Customer: I took that before and got nothing but constant erections
Mysticdoc :

These supplements are not safe to take as they can affect your liver, heart, kidneys.

Customer: Yeah kinda figured. I took it once really
Customer: Well, from what I'm getting, and sorry for talking so much.
Customer: Physically, nothing is wrong with me. I'm 24 and I'm probably worry about it too much is that I'm not getting consistantly stimulated . I have my moments where I was back, and then hit a wall. However, when in the midst of having intercourse, I had ZERO problem.
Customer: I mean, I exercise daily, try and eat right as much as I can, although I do enjoy my self, my BP is ranging from 110/70 or 120/70 so I do take care of my health.
Mysticdoc :

you are physically perfect.

Mysticdoc :

just mental issues

Mysticdoc :

but should improve

Customer: I guess try and not think so much and focus on other things
Mysticdoc :

correct

Mysticdoc :

that will help

Customer: Think that will break this phase?
Customer: I mean, maybe being busy having a job has something to do with the lack of masterbation in my life than it did before hand?
Mysticdoc :

yes i think so.

Mysticdoc :

also consider psycho therapy

Customer: Ehh I never saw myself having that issue.
Mysticdoc :

this can happen anytime in your life.

Mysticdoc :

You are young, and this is not lasting.

Customer: Well, you're right about that. I mean I just hope I can get it together.
Mysticdoc :

yes you will

Mysticdoc :

not a big deal for you

Customer: Yeah. It's just good that I didn't have that issue when I was with that girl
Customer: I just get concerned because having that ability to get consistent erections regardless, makes you feel more confident
Customer: Dont want to lose that
Customer: Any other recommendtions or suggestions?
Mysticdoc :

Viagra is another option short term although your problem dos not really warrant for it.

Customer: Is that OTC
Customer: I mean, im sure exercise and certain foods can do it. Eventually I'll break the anxiety here
Customer: I just dont want it to turn into a long term thing ya know
Mysticdoc :

no requires prescription.

Customer: Alright. As long as I dont do any perminate effect on this issue, i'll be ok. I think the fact that I'm not in a relationship anymore is a driver bc that is what I was used to
Customer: And that my close friends who are involoved in relationships, I do seem a bit left out. Maybe this all plays a factor who knows
Mysticdoc :

You will be ok.

Mysticdoc :

As we discussed above, you will gradually recover fully.

Mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Please rate the chat Good or Excellent, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Customer: Thanks. I know I'm annoying, but could these things take up to a year? I don't want to have that happen/
Customer: Thanks you have been helpful to me todayu.
Mysticdoc :

yes sometimes it may take a year or even longer.

Mysticdoc :

But this i not common. s

Customer: Another thing that crossed my mind was taking the celexa from nov 11 to early feb 2012 hurt things
Customer: however once I got off that, I was sexually fine
Mysticdoc :

yes it can as side effect sometimes

Customer: only on it for 3 months so you dont think it has a role in this?
Customer: And had no problems sexually at all from february 2012 through
Mysticdoc :

it may have some role in it.

Customer: No. 10 mg was a small dose
Customer: and on it for 3 months, then sexually felt fine
Customer: I'm not understand how you told me it was more mental, now saying the celexa could have played a role
Customer: Now this is confusing
Customer: More insight ?
Mysticdoc :

A side effect of celexa is decreased sex drive

Mysticdoc :

This experienced while taking the medication not after discontinuing celexa.

Customer: ?????
Mysticdoc :

since you stopped taking celexa some time ago, your current problem is not related to celexa.

Customer: It would be helpful since what you said was just a 180 from the mental to the celexa
Mysticdoc :

I think you did not read my above replies.

Mysticdoc :

can you see the relies above?

Customer: ....
Customer: Sorry, but you confused me and are not giving me a good explanation why you just said it could be mental to now side effects of something I took a while ago....yet my sexual erections only took off once I got off it back in Feberuary
Mysticdoc :

you misunderstood what I said above.

Mysticdoc :

celexa is not the problem since you stopped taking this.

Mysticdoc :

I said, celexa can cause problem when you are taking it .

Mysticdoc :

It does not when you stopped taking it already.

Mysticdoc :

Hope this clarifies.

Customer: I'm not currently on it now if that is what you are thinking. I was on it for 3 months ranging nov. 2011 to feb 2012 (3 months) sexual activity increase once I got off of it, although I never fully lost it at the time.
Customer: Only time I've been struggling was recently with inconsistency. Just to sum it up for you.
Mysticdoc :

ok --if you are not taking it currently, then this is not related.

Mysticdoc :

your problem is fully mental.

Customer: Thanks for the further explanation....
Customer: You went from helping me feel better to making me feel nervous again...
Customer: Can you please like further explain yourself?
Customer: I just want to rate the answer and get on with this.... Thank you.
Mysticdoc :

Sure--sorry for all the confusion.

Mysticdoc :

you took celexa for very short time and that too very low dose.

Mysticdoc :

Its effect does not last after you stopped it.

Mysticdoc :

That is why your 'erection problem' is psychological.

Mysticdoc :

You have seen you do not have problem with erection some times.

Mysticdoc :

Thta rules out any physical problem.

Mysticdoc :

It takes time and you should be patient and relaxed

Mysticdoc :

things can only get better for you.

Mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Customer: Thank you. What I thought you meant was it could be playing a role for me now. Which confused me.
Mysticdoc :

no no --That is not possible.

Mysticdoc :

Do not worry

Customer: I know. That's what I keep doing sometimes if I cannot masturbate to full stimulation.
Customer: Alright . Things will get better. Thanks Doc
Mysticdoc :

very welcome

Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to note: I was unable to see any of the conversation you were typing above as to why I kept asking for explanation. My apoligies, my computer must have been messed up.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Do not worry.
I guessed that.
Best wishes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. And one more question, while I'm on the subject of sinuses issues and allergies, I've been taking Sudafed and using the Claritin D and then switched to Zyrtec. They don't have any role in this Inconsistent issue of erections do they?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
No they do not .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hm, I read around allergy season , that pseudefed (sudafed) is used and could impact the sexual erectile issues. Some say when one has a long lasting erection, pseudoephedrine is used to help restore it? I donno, I was just searching of the OTC things I've been taking and it popped up, so I'd thought I'd ask.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
No sudafed does not decrease your sex drive or erection.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about anihistamine's in the Zyrtec? Just asking for Peace of Mind. Bc for some reason, my "wall" also occured during my increase in sinus/allergy season as well, whcih I started taking these.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Zyrtec also does not affect erection.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright thanks. I need to stop worrying. I was able to get a good erection before, not 110% strong, but enough to relieve stress. Guess I'm on the right track?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Yes definitely you are.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey I don't mean to open up an old thread and its against the rules, but I have a quick question regarding a pre-workout supplement without caffeine and creatine and want to get your take. Everyone says its the safest on the market.

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12737626