Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine

I ate raw watercress 10 days ago from a mountain stream where

I ate raw watercress 10 days ago from a mountain stream where cattle and sheep were grazing. I now know the dangers. If I have ingested contaminated watercress I want to take a propylactic dose of triclabendazole now to prevent the flukes lifecycle from progressing. Is it effective on the parasite at this stage as it seems a lot more difficult to treat when the parasite begins to lay eggs etc

Doctor-Bob : This drug is highly effective against both immature and adult liver flukes. Taking it earlier is better than later in the treatment of fascioliasis.
Customer: Is it safe to take whether i may be infected or not and can it kill the facisiola quicker at this stage
Doctor-Bob : This drug is considered safe as a single dose. It provides more or less immediate relief to those infected. If you take it you won't know if you had it or not because it will be eliminated from your body at an early stage. If you prefer to wait for symptoms to appear, you can do this and the medication should still work.
Customer: Is it a prescription drug
Customer: I live in Ireland
Doctor-Bob : That's correct. Because it is so safe to use as a single dose, most doctors will call in a prescription for this medication for a patient they know without an appointment. If it is not considered endemic in your country, they might not be so quick to prescribe it (or it may not be available)
Customer: Thank you Dr Bob
Doctor-Bob : You're welcome, sir. I hope all works out for the best. God bless.