Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

Hi, this morning around 8 am after doing sit ups and a bit

Hi, this morning around 8 am after doing sit ups and a bit of aerobics, I sat down to breakfast and each time I put food in my mouth I got a cramp in the muscle below my ear along my jawline. I started massaging it and doing facial contortions. Then I started swelling, until it was about 2 inches in diameter. My doctor seems to feel it is muscular and sent me conrelax to relax the muscle and ibuprofen as a disinflamatory. I did my normal routine and the swelling went down. When I started eating lunch, again the cramps in my upper left jaw started again and I ate with little chewing and on my right side holding my face.

Swelling is still there. the doctor told me that sometimes when your electrolytes are down this could also happen. The wierd part is that all I need is to drink something, in this case "Pedialyte 60" to replenish electrolytes and again the cramps and the swelling.

Curioser and Curioser?? Any ideas. If I'm not eating / drinking there is no pain
Hello from ja
I would suggest seeing an internal medicine doctor here.

Jaw pain like this might be a sign of temporal arteritis, an autoimmune problem.

Any temple pain, headaches?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No pain at all just pressure from swelling. Only feel pain when I eat and get the cramp in my inner mouth upper left jaw, below ear. It was sudden onset. Have spoken to my doc on phone. Just seems so odd to me.
Yes it can represent inflammation of certain large arteries.

Allergic reaction is also possible.

It is not an electrolyte problem at all typically.

I suggest you see an internal medicine doctor as soon as possible and consider temporal should have a sed rate and ANA panel, and this should be examined.

You also need an EKG.
This is not really typical of heart disease but you do not want that to be missed.

Finally, consider parotid gland disease, a stone, blockage or infection, as a blockage could cause swelling when eating in this location as well as pain.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.
Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.