Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS(R)
16766337
Medical

Hi i wonder if cipralex is a MAOI medication?

Dr. Abid : Hi there.Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.I am Dr.Abid a Medical Internist and will help you out.
Dr. Abid : Regarding your concern I want to share with you that Cipralex contains Escitalopram that is not a MAOI (Monamine oxidase inhibitor) it belongs to drug that is serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI).
Dr. Abid : Regards.
Dr. Abid : Let me know if you need more info.
Dr. Abid : Please leave positive feedback for me.
Dr. Abid : Thanks.
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.
ok i see. But what are MAOI's medications and what is the differende between it and an SSRI?
Thanks for your follow up questions...
MAOI,s are group of drugs that inhibit enzyme monamine oxidase and MAOI,s because of potentially lethal dietary and drug interactions, monoamine oxidase inhibitors have historically been reserved as a last line of treatment, used only when other classes of antidepressant drugs (for example selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and tricyclic antidepressants) have failed drugs like Isocarboxazid (Marplan)
Phenelzine (Nardil),Selegiline,Tranylcypromine (Parnate)are MAOI,s.SSRI drugs like flouxetine,paroxetine,sertaline inhibit the uptake of serotonin and used for the treatment of depression.
So first SSRI are used because of safety profile.
Regards.
Positive response will be appreciated.