Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician

Im 29 male, pass few days bout week with no bowl movement,

I'm 29 male, pass few days bout week with no bowl movement, my lower stomach has been slightly tight feeling but nothing alarming. Then Ive been eating full meals and then realizing I havnt BM n days something is wrong cause I usually go like clock work once a day. Went to Walgreens got miralax. When I got home I ate sandwich &. Salad drank a glass of prune juice. My stomach became very hard and 15 min I have explosive diarrhea. It's mostly liquid. I know I have to be stoppedup pretty good. Is the diarrhea ok to have. And it smells too like not good strong tangy odor? Lots gas. What should I do. No sooner then I get up from the toilet my stomach rumbles and here comes more bad stuff. Please help what do I do? My stomach is tight and in knots!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Welcome here and thank you for your question.
I am Dr.Robert & will do whatever I can to help answer your questions.First I need a little more information-

Ever blood in stool?
Have you undergone any tests so far?
When did you took miralax?
Is there any pain in abdomen?

I am waiting for your reply.
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes usually stool is good but have had blood in stool, no test. Took miralax 30-40min ago. Not really pain but tightness uncomfortablel fullness
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Dear XXXXX,
Thank you for providing quick additional info.

In medical terminology,constipation is defined as less than three bowel movements per week. Severe constipation is defined as less than one bowel movement per week.

So the symptoms you have described is called as severe constipation.

To treat constipation,following is recommended for you:

-Take bulk-forming laxatives like Metamucil.

-If this doesn't help then take stimulant suppositories containing bisacodyl (e.g. Dulcolax)can be used.

-Glycerol suppositories act as a 'stimulant' within the rectum, encouraging the passing of stools.

Miralax may work within hours to sometimes in minutes.The explosive diarrhea you are having is normal to have because of effect of miralax.

Fiber is one of the mainstays in the treatment of constipation.High-fiber foods include beans, whole grains and bran cereals, fresh fruits, and vegetables such as asparagus, brussels sprouts, cabbage, and carrots.You need:increase the quantity of fruits and vegetables as they contain lots of fiber.

Because you were having severe constipation,smell & gas is quite common.It will go away as you will have few more episodes of diarrhea.Lot of fecal matter is stored in the intestine which will get expelled as you have taken the laxative.

The blood in stool you are having is also because of severe constipation you had in the past.The fresh red colored blood in stool comes because the fragile blood vessels get burst because of constipation & pressure on rectum/anus.

So all your symptoms are normal for now.To treat the tightness & uncomfortable fullness take take tab.Ranitidine(Zantac) 150 mg twice a day.Take Pepto-Bismol 2tsf thrice a day after meals.All this will help greatly.

Keep an eye of observation.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you for your business!

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX asked doctor questions on line just a few times and u have been wonderful with this detail reply, thank you. I just feel better hearing it come from u. Have a goodnight and thanks again.
I hope this ends soon I got to get to bed, : )
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Dear XXXXX,
Thank you for the words of appreciation.

You need to just watch your symptoms & take the above described medications.This will help greatly to treat these symptoms.

Also avoid smoking & alcohol consumption.Dont take fried,spicy,salty,chilly food items.

Hope this helped.

Thank you for your business!

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert