Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery

Hi--I am otherwise healthy 55 yo male but recently I have

Customer Question

Hi--

I am otherwise healthy 55 yo male but recently I have developed painful areas on my skin - at the top of my legs on the front. Friday it was on my right side and it lasted for 3 days and slowly has been subsiding. Now, starting yesterday, I have a larger area about the size of my hand on the left side. It is a persistent, fairly sharp pain and it hurts more if I touch it. No bruising or injury. Nothing new in my routine.

I was prescribed NSAI a couple of weeks ago for knee pain (arthroscopic surgery 1.5 years ago). Otherwise no prescription drugs.

Any ideas?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today with your question. I will be happy to assist you with your follow up questions also. I need few details. Do you feel any pain on pressing that area? Any lower back pain? Does this pain feel like an electric current? Any numbness or tingling in legs? What are your diagnosed medical problems and what you have tried for this pain? Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you feel any pain on pressing that area? - Yes. The pain is persistent and it hurts more when I press on it.

Any lower back pain? -No.

Does this pain feel like an electric current? - No. Something like a bad sunburn but just a little deeper.

Any numbness or tingling in legs? -None.

What are your diagnosed medical problems and what you have tried for this pain? - No current medical issues. I had cancer 10 years ago (appendix) and 5 months of chemo. I developed neuropathy but it resolved itself within 3-4 months. I tried moisturizer with no help.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bob thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your pain. The likely cause for this pain can be muscular or less likely it can be related to neuropathic pain. But muscular pain is more likely. Pain on pressing indicates that it's muscular. Skin related problem is not likely because there is no redness or any other symptom on skin. I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations OTC Tab Aleve twice daily can help. It's an NSAID also but stronger than ibuprofen. This can be tried if not already taken. Application of ice packs over the area and massage of the area with OTC bengay cream also provide some relief If symptoms persist you must see your doctor to get further investigations and treatment. However don't stress yourself because nothing sounds serious. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to assist you always.
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery