Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I fell causing a comminuted fracture that extends into the

Customer Question

I fell causing a comminuted fracture that extends into the knee joint and upwards into the femoral shaft on 3/26/2013. I was in the hospital for a little more than two weeks after surgery. My leg is now in a brace and I am not allowed to put any weight on it at this time. Two weeks ago my orthopedic surgeon stopped my pain medication (oxycodone 5mg qid) so that I could "feel the pain and know if I am hurting my leg further."

I continue to have a constant pain (4/10) which gets worse as I move my leg (6/10) simply transferring from bed to wheelchair or walker.

Does his recommendation make sense or should I be continuing to ask for pain medications?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.

Dr. P Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello would you like to chat on this?

Customer:

sure... r u there now?

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello would you like to chat?

Customer:

sure

Dr. P Jyoti :

has your doctor offered you an alternative pain killer?

Customer:

just tylenol

Customer:

Tylenol seems to do nothing at all for the pain.

Dr. P Jyoti :

well, your doctor is basically correct tht oxycodone is not needed about one and a haf months after a fracture

Dr. P Jyoti :

usually by this time, the patient takes NSAIDS for pain relief

Dr. P Jyoti :

NSAIDS like tylenol and ibuprofen

Dr. P Jyoti :

tylenol is a very weak analgesic

Dr. P Jyoti :

instead you can ask your doctor about taking ibuprofen

Dr. P Jyoti :

this is not to be taken regularly but when there is pain

Dr. P Jyoti :

the pain should gradually go down

Customer:

btw... I have had adverse reactions to Motrin in the past (reduced kidney function after only a few days)...

Dr. P Jyoti :

by about three months you should be pain free

Dr. P Jyoti :

in that case ibuprofen would be ruled out

Dr. P Jyoti :

and other nsaids also might be dangerous

Dr. P Jyoti :

that is why perhaps your doctor kept you on oxycodone

Dr. P Jyoti :

in that case, i would suggest you talk to your docotr about continuing on oxycodone

Dr. P Jyoti :

but not on a regular qid dose

Dr. P Jyoti :

that would not be appropriate

Dr. P Jyoti :

however you can ask for a prescription for an sos dose

Dr. P Jyoti :

taking it only on the days that the leg is more painful

Dr. P Jyoti :

usually we would expect an sos dose of ibuprofen to be sufficient by this time

Dr. P Jyoti :

but since motrin caused a reaction it would be better to take oxycodone

Dr. P Jyoti :

stress on these two points to your doctor

Dr. P Jyoti :

that you cannot take ibuprofen since you had a reaction earlier

Dr. P Jyoti :

and that you intend to take oxycodone on sos basis only - sos meaning emergency dose

Dr. P Jyoti :

i think your doctor should agree to this if you discuss with him stressing on these two points

Dr. P Jyoti :

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need.
Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Thank you.

Dr. P Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer:

Thanks for the confirmation - I really was starting to think he was just into S&M wanting me to feel the pain.

Customer:

...Just a joke but I was questioning his recommendation. No further questions - thanks for the rapid response. bye.

Dr. P Jyoti :

no, i feel he will agree if you mention these two points

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.