Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Im in Shanghai, China and went to the hospital fro rapid heart

I'm in Shanghai, China and went to the hospital fro rapid heart beats- 150-160 per min-the Dr gave me some pills called propafenone hydrochloride-what does this do and what was the diagnosis?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray MD : The medication that you were given, propafenone is an anti- arrhythmia drug for the heart.
Anthony Bray MD : It is intended to stabilize the heart's rhythm .
Anthony Bray MD : Based on your history I would suspect that you went into a rhythm called atrial fibrillation with a rapid ventricular response.
Anthony Bray MD : Other rhythm disturbances could have been the case however....
Anthony Bray MD : Supra ventricular tachycardia could be another possibility with the rate that you describe...
Anthony Bray MD : At your age I would say that atrial fibrillation would be the most commonly diagnosed new abnormal rhythm however...
Anthony Bray MD : The drug slows the conduction through the AV node in the heart which is a major electrical relay in the center of the heart. It has the effect to help control the rapid rate and often would help to maintain a normal sinus rhythm .
Anthony Bray MD : I would recommend that you obtain copies of your EKG tracings both the abnormal and normal as part of your record.
Anthony Bray MD : I would suggest speaking with your cardiologist to help clarify exactly your diagnosis and current rhythm.
Anthony Bray MD : if you should have persistent atrial fibrillation with a controlled rate then this condition does increase risk of clot formation within the heart which could break loose and flow upstream and risk a stroke. For this reason we advise people with chronic or recurrent atrial fibrillation to also be on medication to reduce risk of stroke. ( the nature of these type clots is not as effectively prevented by aspirin so other options such as coumadin or Xarelto are preferred in this instance)
Anthony Bray MD : i must emphasize that there is no way that I can inform you exactly what your rhythm disturbance was as there are a few possibilities here.... Based on your history I would most suspect that you had atrial fibrillation as I have explained however.
Anthony Bray MD : I hope that this information is helpful for you! If you have further questions then let me know and I will be happy to get back with you!
Customer:

is it possible for you to call my cell phone to discuss this rather than typing?my number is XXXXX

Anthony Bray MD : If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be very much appreciated! Thank you and best regards,
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD
Customer:

Dr Bray, should I take these pills until I get home to the states where I can see a Dr or should I reduce the dose?

Anthony Bray MD : I'm sorry but I am unable to call. Justanswer.com has a mutual privacy policy and do not allow customers to call or email providers or vice versa....they x-Ed out your number...
Anthony Bray MD : No I think you are best to take them as prescribed until you can see your doctor back home!!
Anthony Bray MD : it would be dangerous for you to reduce your own dose or stop!
Anthony Bray MD : Try to obtain copies if the EKG's though-- that will help your doctor to interpret what has been going on....
Anthony Bray MD : I hope this helps! Let me know if you have further questions or concerns!!
Customer:

I'm now taking reduce to 2 pills, 3 times per day of 50 mg- the Dr said after that togo to one pill 3 times per day- or should I stay at basically 150 mg per day?

Anthony Bray MD : Yes I would stay at the 150mg/ day until you get back home...
Customer:

All right, I was cutting back as per the Dr's instruction,to basically 300 mg per day, then 150 per day afer 3 days-I'll just stay at 150 mg 3 times per day until I get back-Is that what you recommend?

Anthony Bray MD : This med is typically started at150mg every 8 hours... It has extended release forms that may be taken once a day ( if your do toe elected to keep you on this )
Anthony Bray MD : Yes, I think that is fine.... I think you are best to keep on steady dose until you arrive back home and have your conditioned reviewed,,,
Customer:

the pills I have are 50 mg's-she said to take 3 of these 3 times per day for 3 days, then reduce to 2 pills, 3 times per day for another 3 days, then go to 1 pill, 3 times perday- does that make sense?

Anthony Bray MD : Yes it makes sense but there are going to be different approaches that are still valid. I think that she was trying to make certain that the rhythm was stable and then aimed to gradually minimize your dose....I think that 50 to 100 mg three times a day would be fine until you return home...
Customer:

All right, then I will do what you recommend- thanx for your help- my life is in your hands- Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX Hastreiter

Anthony Bray MD : The med is marketed in the US under name Rythmol...
Anthony Bray MD : You are very welcome! Have a safe trip home!! Best regards XXXXX XXXXX!!
Customer:

Yes I saw that on line-I'll let my Dr make that call- thanx again

Anthony Bray MD : You are very welcome! Take care!!
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the field of Family Practice