Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Hello, I have a vitamin D deficiency and my white blood cells

Hello, I have a vitamin D deficiency and my white blood cells have increased what does this mean and what should I do?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

DR HASAN :

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today with your question. I will be happy to assist you with your follow up questions also. I need few details.

DR HASAN :

How high is your white blood cell (WBC) count?

Customer:

11

DR HASAN :

and what is normal reference range on your report?

Customer:

i don't have it infront of me but I think the doctor said 6-10

Customer:

its UK result

DR HASAN :

Do you have any symptoms like fever, urinary symptoms, cough or any other symptom?

Customer:

about 4-5 weeks ago I had a weird sore throat and alot of sputum and crusts coming out of nose. This lasted for a while and still some stuff coming out of my throat. I seem to feel burning feel

DR HASAN :

ok

DR HASAN :

How low is your vitamin D?

Customer:

burning feeling in my throat ; I have so much acid anyway as I have stomach ulcers, chrohns disease

Customer:

20

DR HASAN :

and range?

Customer:

its suppose to be 25+

Customer:

something like that

Customer:

i take nexium and asacol

DR HASAN :

Thanks a lot for your input.

DR HASAN :

First of all i would like to reassure you that nothing is serious.

DR HASAN :

WBC of 11 is not very high. It is just above normal.

DR HASAN :

This much increase can be due to even lab errors.

DR HASAN :

You just need to monitor yourself for this and needs to get a repeat test in a month time.

DR HASAN :

As far as vitamin D is concerned, yes it's low and you can ask your doctor to prescribe vitamin D for you.

DR HASAN :

It's in the form of injections which can be taken by mouth.

DR HASAN :

They are to be taken weekly for six weeks initially and hopefully you will get normal results soon.

Customer:

how much much shall i take?

DR HASAN :

As far as your throat problem is concerned, you can ask your doctor to add tab domperidone one tablet thrice daily, 30 min before every meal.

DR HASAN :

Its a pro kinetic drug and reduces the time for which food stays in stomach and can help in cases where nexium alone is not working.

DR HASAN :

Overall i must say that you don't need to stress yourself.

DR HASAN :

Any question?

Customer:

thank you; I will call him on monday and speak to him about prescribing; or do you think I should and get a script tommorrow?

DR HASAN :

No not all, you can even wait for more days.

DR HASAN :

call him whenever you can do it easily.

Customer:

he wants me to do sputum test incase of infection

DR HASAN :

Yes he is right but i really think that sputum test when infected should give symptoms like fever.

DR HASAN :

But definitely you should get sputum test done.

DR HASAN :

Anything else you want to ask?

Customer:

thats fine thank you

DR HASAN :

You are most welcome. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to assist you always. Regards

Customer:

thats great.

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery