How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Hasan Your Own Question
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 8420
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Hasan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a chest xray done today and then my Dr. Office called

This answer was rated:

I had a chest xray done today and then my Dr. Office called and told me I needed to go back and get it done with nipple markers and lateral..does this mean that they saw something questionable and how concerned should I be..

DR HASAN :

HI

Customer:

How are you

DR HASAN :

Thanks for your question.

DR HASAN :

My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today with your question. I will be happy to assist you with your follow up questions also. I need few details.

Customer:

I am a smoker by the way and that is why I had the xray done

DR HASAN :

Why your chest xray was done?

DR HASAN :

You mean you didn't had any symptoms?

Customer:

my concern..I asked to have one at my physical

DR HASAN :

ok thanks a lot for your input.

Customer:

no symptoms..concerns..from smoking

DR HASAN :

First of all i would like to tell you that you don't need to stress yourself.

DR HASAN :

Nipple shadows are apparent in 10% of chest x-rays. The shadow is caused by the fact that nipple normally protrudes outwardly from the surrounding tissue and upon contacting a flat surface, an arch shaped air space can get created which can sometimes looks like a shadow on the film.

DR HASAN :

on lateral view of the chest xray this shadow is not seen in any case.

Customer:

10% ..what are the other 90%..that worries me

DR HASAN :

So they must have seen a shadow at the site of nipple area and that is the reason that they are going to put a sticker on your nipples this time and will take a normal chest xray and then a lateral xray to confirm that initial shadow was just nipple shadow.

DR HASAN :

10% means that in 10% of normal chest xrays, one can get this nipple shadow.

DR HASAN :

in rest of the 90%, no such shadow is seen.

DR HASAN :

both these 10% and 90% are normal.

DR HASAN :

If we talk about your case specifically, if you don't have symptoms then this shadow is likely to be a nipple shadow and they are just ruling that out

Customer:

I have had chest xrays before and never had a call from my Dr. on the same day at the test..that was unexpected..I don't freak out..so I will be fine until the retest is taken on Tuesday morning. So I guess I will find out on that same day.

DR HASAN :

Yes but if you don't have symptoms like cough specially with blood stained phlegm, weight loss, loss of appetite, chest pain etc then you don't need to worry.

DR HASAN :

It can happen sometime that a chest xray in a specific position can show a shadow which is not seen in the next one. We call it an artifact. That is why xray is not as good as CT scan.

Customer:

I hope this scare will help me quit smoking..thank you and wish me luck..

DR HASAN :

Yes you should quit smoking because life is beautiful and cannot be scarified for something like smoking.

DR HASAN :

You are most welcome.

DR HASAN :

I wish you good luck with lots of prayers that your Xray comes out fine.

Customer:

Thank you..Enjoy your weekend

DR HASAN :

and wish you a happy & healthy life.

DR HASAN :

:)

DR HASAN :

please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to assist you always.

DR HASAN :

Any question in your mind?

DR HASAN :

Please feel free, i am here to assist you.

Dr. Hasan and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you