Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

My tailbone hurts when I sit because I have severe constipation

My tailbone hurts when I sit because I have severe constipation and severe spinal stenosis that recompresses the cauda equina. What can I take for the tailbone pain? Would the prescription 800 mg of Ibuprofen help? I have 1 or 2 pills left. Is there something that would take away such pain for at least every 12 hours? Thank you for your assistance.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Welcome here and thank you for your question.
I am Dr.Robert & will do whatever I can to help answer your questions.First I need a little more information-

Since how long you have this pain?
Have you undergone any surgery?
Since how long are you taking Ibuprofen?
Is there any other known medical illness?

I am waiting for your reply.
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This pain comes and goes. I think it happens every time my constipation acts up. I haven't undergone any surgery, but I know I have spinal stenosis because of an MRI I had done in November 2011. November 2011 was when I was prescribed the Ibuprofen. (30 tablets, and I would take a pill whenever needed) Aside from what I told you, I have hypertension, hypothyroidism, anxiety, a small benign cyst on my skull, allergies, gastritis, and hemorrhoids. I had a colonoscopy on October 27, 2008, and everything was fine. That's about it.

Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Dear Jaime
Thank you for providing quick additional info.

The coccyx pain/tail bone pain you are having can be due to various causes.Most common causes are: trauma, fractures, dislocations, and malignancies (either primary or metastatic),Referred pain from other sources:Lumbar spine facet joints and muscles,spinal stenosis.

Also this pain can be due to Inflammation of the sacro-coccygeal joint, coccydynia(Inflammation of the bony area (tailbone or coccyx) located between the buttocks).

Spinal stenosis seems to be the most probable cause & constipation can be the aggravating factor for this pain.

The starting recommended prescription dose for mild to moderate pain for ibuprofen is 400 mg every four to six hours as needed to control pain.

Daily dose may vary from 1200 mg to 3200 mg in severe pain & can be taken with prescription of your doctor.

Other conservative treatment options are:Cold therapy, heat therapy or both,Oral Steroid Medications,Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) delivers a tiny electrical current to key points on a nerve pathway,Epidural Steroid Injections.

Injections of cortisone can be administered directly in the area of nerve compression.Your doctor may advice you to wear a back brace or corset for a short time to increase your comfort and help you to regain mobility.

So botXXXXX XXXXXne is that you can take Ibuprofen 400 mg every 4-6 hours.It will help you greatly.

If still the pain persists then you need to consult your doctor for the above described treatment options accordingly.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you for your business!

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I apologize. When you asked me how long I have had this pain, I am not sure if I could have answered the question better. What I meant to say was that I had gotten an MRI back in November 2011, and it was because of this tailbone pain why I had the MRI done because on or around November 2011 is when this tailbone pain started. But like I said, this pain comes and goes. There have been periods in time (sometimes even long periods) in between November 2011 to present when I felt no tailbone pain at all. Like I said, I think it tends to act up when I get constipation. Is your answer still the same with this clarification? Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Dear Jaime,
Thank you for asking follow up question.

Yes,it was clear when you have described the statement-"I have spinal stenosis because of an MRI I had done in November 2011".

As I said spinal stenosis is the most probable cause of your pain,so it was clear that you have this pain from november 2011.

And hence I gave you the answer considering the pain since nov 2011.

So you can take the Ibuprofen as described above & other treatment options will be considered accordingly.

Surgery is usually the last resort when all the measures fail to control the pain.

Hope this helped.

Thank you for your business!

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jaime

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Have you taken the Ibuprofen?
Has your pain relieved now?

Let me know,
Dr.Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I took the prescription type of Ibuprofen of 800 mg and it helped. After that, I had 2 bowel movements and felt even better. However, right now, I have minor pain in my tailbone when I stand up from a sitting position. However, the pain is not as bad as before. I think my constipation is acting up again. There have been many times when I was in a public place when I got the urge to have a bowel movement. Since I don't like using public bathrooms, I would try to wait until I got home to go to the bathroom, and by the time I would arrive home, the urge would go away. This has happened to me many times. You can see another concern I had after I asked the above question at the following link for a clearer picture of my problem:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/7r41g-reading-medical-guide-book-day.htmlOh! By the way, I neglected to tell you last time that when I had this problem back in November 2011, before I had the MRI done, my doctor took an X-ray. I never thought an X-ray was able to pick up a picture of feces, but my doctor showed the X-ray to me and showed me that it showed that it was full of feces. I thought X-rays only picked up bones. But I guess I was wrong. Anyway, that's why I believe my problem is my spinal stenosis recompressing my cauda equina, and that constipation irritates it more. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Dear Jamie,

Yes,spinal stenosis seems to be the most probable cause & constipation can be the aggravating factor for this pain.

You need following tests:
-Anal manometry
-Proctography
-Anal electromyography tests for nerve damage
-Anoscopy
-Stool examination

If the anal muscles are weak, injections of ‘bulking agents' into the wall of the anus may help.

Fiber is one of the mainstays in the treatment of constipation.High-fiber foods include beans, whole grains and bran cereals,fresh fruits, and vegetables such as asparagus, brussels sprouts,cabbage, and carrots.You need to increase the quantity of fruits and vegetables as they contain lots of fiber.

Hope this helped.

Thank you for your business!

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor