Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

Background: Been training for tough mudder, and had a very

Background: Been training for tough mudder, and had a very ab heavy routine the past two days.

On Wednesday I ate dinner post workout and noticed a weird pulling/push type pain below my breastplate, basically my very top abs in the center.

I am now in day two officially painwise and this pain/muscle pull feeling comes in waves when trying to sleep, no matter the position, when I rub the spot/abs deep as I feel a wave approaching it subsides.

I also get this more intense when trying to eat something, about a few seconds after swallowing a wave comes on. Sitting and walking around seems to help alleviate the waves as I walk around with minor issue and can sit by my computer working without issue as I type this.

I have no other symptoms and urine/bowel movements seem normal, don't feel bloated and in terms of pain when eating it seems to happen with everything the past two days, be it eggs, cereal, chicken etc...I have been on a very healthy diet the past 4 months training.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Sohaib :

Hello and Welcome to Just Answer.

Thank you for the question. Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a Medical Internist (who deals with diseases of all the organ systems of body) and I will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Dr. Sohaib :

You do not have shortness of breath, chest pain or palpitations associated with this, right?

Customer:

correct, none of the above

Dr. Sohaib :

Thank you very much for the useful information. There are two main possibilities here. First of all, this is most likely a result of the spasm of abdominal muscles which is giving you these symptoms. This is reinforced by the fact that gentle stretching/change of posture and massage helps relieve this pain. However, there is also possibility of an ulcer in the stomach/duodenum or gastroesophageal reflux or a combination of both.

Dr. Sohaib :

Do you smoke?

Dr. Sohaib :

Family history of heart disease?

Customer:

do not smoke, no heart disease in my family either, and barely drink since I started training. I have had some acid reflux in the past, though nothing lately. Rubbing the spot as a wave of pull/pain approaches makes it go away almost instantly..

Customer:

and the type of food does not seem to make a difference, though drinking liquids does not seem to bring anything on

Dr. Sohaib :

Okay. Theoretically there is a remote possibility that this is from your heart, and only an EKG can rule out this condition, but honestly, this does not appears to be one, since it gets worse with physical exertion and not improves with rubbing.

Dr. Sohaib :

At this point, the most likely cause is a muscle spasm and there are few measures which can help.

Dr. Sohaib :

Gentle massage.

Dr. Sohaib :

Heating pad application.

Customer:

I had an EKG done last year actually which came back normal

Dr. Sohaib :

And muscle relaxants like Tizanidine or Cyclobenzaprine.

Customer:

had a gastro upset they wanted to rule heart out

Customer:

said that was fine and eventually issue resolved

Dr. Sohaib :

Okay, a previous normal EKG also makes this less likely to be from your heart.

Dr. Sohaib :

You can also take Prilosec OTC and see how you respond to this.

Customer:

ok understood

Dr. Sohaib :

Most likely this will settle down soon but in case this persist and does not improve, see your doctor for further evaluation.

Customer:

thank you very much, I'll monitor it and if by the weekend I see now improvement I will see the doc

Customer:

understood and thank you

Dr. Sohaib :

And if at any point this gets worse, and if this becomes associated with shortness of breath, chest pain or palpitations, go to ER.

Dr. Sohaib :

I would have been worried too if I were at your place, but let me reassure you that this is a treatable condition and carries a good prognosis with appropriate management.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Customer:

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX! you have been most helpful!

Dr. Sohaib :

Pleasure is all mine :)

Dr. Sohaib :

Goodluck.

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities