Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I had a UTI last week. I now have pain just above my behind

Customer Question

I had a UTI last week. I now have pain just above my behind in my lower back. It comes and it goes. I don't know if it is because I was a little backed up (just had baby everything is getting back to normal). It can't be kidneys can it? I have no other symptoms.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray MD : Hello!
Customer:

Hi There~

Anthony Bray MD : From your description it sounds more likely that your back pain is probably due to a spine back injury....
Customer:

Okay, I haven't hurt myself, but it could be the way I sleep at night (sometimes laying down nursing). It can be a stabbing pain, go away and come back.

Customer:

Could it be because I was backed up a bit?

Anthony Bray MD : Now you can have back pain due to UTI--- if you have kidney area pain then this will likely hurt more to one side at the lower margin of the ribcage--- this side/ back area is referred to as flank pain, this type pain often is accompanied by nausea and often fever ( symptoms of kidney infection = pyelonephritis)
Customer:

no the pain is located at my very lower back and no fever/nausea

Anthony Bray MD : if you have musculoskeletal low back pain then this is more often centered in the low mid back. This may be aggravated by certain positions such as prolonged sitting , bending, lifting for example....
Customer:

Okay!

Anthony Bray MD : do you have any further UTI symptoms such as burning with urination or frequent urgency to urinate? These would be clues to a UTI...
Customer:

No, they are gone since I was on macrobid.

Customer:

the pain came on in the back after I was done with precription'

Anthony Bray MD : so far your pain sounds more likely to be musculoskeletal... You may benefit to take an anti- inflammatory med such as Aleve 1 to 2 tablets twice a day with food or milk... Ibuprofen 1 to 4 tabs three times a day with food or milk( avoid if you have problems with stomach problems or ulcers or if you have kidney disease)
Anthony Bray MD : Does it aggravate the pain to sit for long while?
Anthony Bray MD : does it hurt to bend over?
Customer:

it does yes

Customer:

when I bend over it feels good

Anthony Bray MD : Does it hurt to lift a weight if some type? These would be clues as to the pain being musculoskeletal ....
Customer:

stretching it out. but when I go to bathroom it helps too.. Sorry of TMI

Customer:

No it doesn't

Anthony Bray MD : Hi again-- in the medical field we don't usually have any TMI!!
Customer:

True :)

Customer:

I just was a little concerned that was all. After UTI and I had an anal fissure due to birth, my body seems a little chaotic.

Customer:

I guess I assume the worst

Anthony Bray MD : The pain localized to mid lower back sounds more probable to be musculoskeletal in nature.... Some swelling of spine or related structures... Possibly sacroilitis..( inflammation of the fixed joint of the sacrum/ ilium of the pelvis) seeing your doctor for a follow up exam would be helpful to better diagnose what exactly is going on...
Customer:

True!

Anthony Bray MD : I think you will probably benefit from anti- inflammatory medicine( Advil , Aleve or other) and maybe trying a topical product to the low back such as Aspercream or similar product....
Customer:

Okay I will try that!

Customer:

Thanks so very much.

Anthony Bray MD : You are very welcome!!
Anthony Bray MD : i hope that you feel better soon!
Customer:

Me too.. I guess worrying

Customer:

doesn't help.

Customer:

:)

Customer:

Thanks!

Anthony Bray MD : let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!!
Customer:

Okay I will.. Thank you.

Anthony Bray MD : if my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be very much appreciated! Thank you and best regards,
Customer:

I will thanks.

Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the field of Family Practice