Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice

I missed a day of errin birth control I realized it exactly

I missed a day of errin birth control I realized it exactly 24 hours later
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray MD : this is a common occurrence. I usually will have patients whom miss one dose to go ahead and take two pills and resume the normal schedule following that. This would ONLY apply to a single missed day as you have had.....
Anthony Bray MD : ( if you had missed several days then the most I would advise would be 2 tablets for two days and back to normal schedule)
Anthony Bray MD : The slight irregularity if taking your pill would lead to a minimal increase on chance of pregnancy. You may elect to use a second birth control method such as condoms for the next two weeks ( certainly this would be more than adequate...)
Customer:

ok

Anthony Bray MD : I hope that this information helps ! Let me know if you have further questions or concerns! I will be happy to get back with you!!
Customer:

I'm sorry to be so blatant but I had sex tuesday missed taking the pill on wednesday and now it is thursday. So I just want to double check the best think to do is take 2 pills today

Anthony Bray MD : if my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction at the conclusion of our interaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be very much appreciated.
Anthony Bray MD : Yes I would take two pills today--- this would make the closest approximation to your normal dose...
Anthony Bray MD : the one day high dose should help to prevent ovulation at all this month...
Customer:

ok, I will do that. this is true even though I am taking mini pill right?

Anthony Bray MD : Just missing one dose on the day that you are sexually active should NOT really increase your chance if pregnancy...
Anthony Bray MD : Yes -- I would make this small adjustment to help normalize the missed dose...
Customer:

ok thank you I really do not want to be pregnant.

Anthony Bray MD : the missed dose on day zero would not really affect your chance if conceiving on day zero but rather later days may have increased risk... Too little birth control in your system could cause ovarian follicle production to resume... This would translate a later period of increased potential for conceiving --- about 10 to 14 days....
Anthony Bray MD : you are very welcome! I understand! It is best to be pregnant only when you are ready and planned!
Anthony Bray MD : the single missed dose should not lead to pregnancy...
Customer:

exactly! Thank you for helping me understand how it works. I have heard scary stories about mini pills

Anthony Bray MD : even with taken 100 % correctly the birth control pulls are generally 98 to 99% effective meaning that there is a 1 to 2 % breakthrough of conception despite the birth control...
Anthony Bray MD : The 1 to 2 % rate if conception is per year ....
Anthony Bray MD : this rate would not be greatly affected by a single missed dose but multiple missed doses certainly would increase the rate of conception!!
Anthony Bray MD : I hope this is helpful for you! Let me know if you have further questions. If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback . That would be very much appreciated! Thank you and best regards,
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the field of Family Practice