Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

I think Im realizing that standing up straight causes severe

I think I'm realizing that standing up straight causes severe nerve pain down both legs through the feet which freeze painfully so; I can get relief by bending forwards a bit. And when I walk, particularly if I try to stand tall while walking, the top half of my legs feels weak and walking is difficult. What is going on? What will they do? I'm starting PT tomorrow but could that really fix this or is this structural?
I am online and available to assist you today. Thank you for your patience.

How old are you?

What is your height and weight?

What has your PT said? How about your doctor?

Have you had any xrays, mri's etc? If so, what did they show?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, this related to prior post. I'm 35 years old. My doc says stenosis and bilateral spondylosis. here are the reports: MRI: Bilateral pars interarticularis defects at L5; mild degenerative changes at L5-S1 with disc dessication and mild disc bulge. Associated mild facet and ligamentum flavum hypertrophy contribute to mild bilateral neural foraminal narrowing, with exiting nerve roots abutting the bulging disc bilaterally, right greater than left; at L4-L5 minimal disc bulge. -- XRAY: bilateral L5 pars spondylolysis; minimal anterolishtesis at L5-S1 on flexion. -- Also, the PT with ice & elec. stimulation on lumbar seemed to help some. -- I should add, the symptoms change and at times are better.

Thank you for that extra information.

Let me answer your questions in the order you asked them:

1. What is going on?

You have structural changes in your back with narrowing of the canal your nerves go through. In addition you have dried out disks with bulging with compression of your nerves. This is the cause of your pain and weakness.

2. The options are PT (which you are doing), injections into your back of steroids, medication and surgery.

3. It is structural and that is not going to change. What is going to change is the pressure on the nerves and, hopefully PT will remove your symptoms so you don't need more aggressive treatment, such as surgery.

Here is a good article on this topic from a very reliable source:

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS