Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I have a sore throat which actually feels like it is down in

I have a sore throat which actually feels like it is down in my neck, my tongue feels burnt and looks to bit swollen with some blotchy red areas, I also have had a headache for the past 3-4 days. It is very scary and of course u read online and there is everything in the world to scare you. Any idea what this might be?
Welcome here and thank you for your question.
I am Dr.Robert & will do whatever I can to help answer your questions.First I need a little more information-

Since how long you have this sore throat?
Is there fever?
Have you underwent any tests?

I am waiting for your reply.
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my throat has been sore probably about 3 days maybe 4. No fever, I do feel a bit run down by I don't know if this is because I work out 4-5 times a week, have 3 little boys and work 50+ hrs a week. I also have been suffering terribly with seasonal allergies. I wake up with terrible bloodshot burning eyes and I have had a whopper of a headache since sunday
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I would say that my throat is "sore" in an odd way. Kinda feels like a mix between dry and how it would feel if you had sung too much. Just kind of odd
Dear Rachel,
Thank you for providing quick additional info.

I understood the way of soreness you have described.Although most of sore throats are caused by viral infections.But this can also be bacterial like strep throat.It is the most common bacterial cause of sore throat.It is caused group A Streptococcus bacteria.

Strep can not be accurately diagnosed by looking at the throat alone. It requires a laboratory test.A throat swab or a rapid test is required to rule out/diagnose strep infection.

You need following tests:

-A throat swab
-Rapid test for strep infection
-Blood culture & sensitivity test

Sore throat caused by a viral infection generally clears up on its own within one week with no complications but if this is bacterial infection,then you will need antibiotics to cure it.

Keeping a humidifier running in your room or using an over-the-counter salt-water spray (inhaled through the nose) five or six times a day can provide dramatic relief.Take tablet benadryl once a day.It is anti histamine(anti allergic)& is available as over the counter(OTC) without prescription.

To get relief from headache,take tab. Acetaminophen from the counter.

There does not seem to be anything serious,so you need not to get scare.So for confirmation,I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor to have these tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you for your business!

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is the sore burned feeling tongue normal with a viral or bacterial infection?
Dear Rachel,
Thank you for asking follow up question.

The burning feeling of tongue is medically called as glossodynia. Following factors may cause this:infections caused by bacteria,virus or fungus (thrush),dry mouth (xerostomia),nutritional deficiencies,nerve damage to nerves that control taste and pain in the tongue,changes in hormones or the immune system,psychological conditions such as anxiety or depression,

Infection can be a probable cause of this burning feeling.It will get cured by itself as the infection will be treated.

So I advice you to consult your doctor for the tests described above so as to confirm the underlying cause & hence its treatment accordingly.

Hope this helped.

Thank you for your business!

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok thanks, I was exposed to someone with strep less than 2 wks ago. I thought I was beyond incubation period when my symptoms showed up but maybe not.
Dear Rachel,

The incubation period for strep throat can vary. It is typically about 3 days, although it can be anywhere from 2 to 5 days.

Also you are having these symptoms from last 4 days.It means that you were exposed some 9-10 days ago & showed symptoms after 4-5 days.

So bottom line is that most likely this is because of step infection & you need immediate treatment.I advice you to go to ER & antibiotics will be prescribed accordingly.

Hope this helped.

Thank you for your business!

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert