911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician
19155615

I just go back my CBC tests. Everything was normal except for

I just go back my CBC tests. Everything was normal except for my EOS% (10% - 0-7% Normal) and Absolute EOS (0.5 - 0 -0.4 Normal). I have terrible allergies with constant runny nose for about 8 months. I also have been taking Doxycycline for a periodontal infection. Would allergy or antibiotics affect the EOS numbers?

911DOC :

Welcome, My answers are for educational purposes only. Remember please, that we do not get paid if you do not click 'accept' / give positive ratings!

911DOC :

the antibiotics should not affect the eosinophil count

911DOC :

Allergies certainly CAN do this

911DOC :

In fact, it is one of the signs of an allergic disorder

911DOC :

standing by

Customer:

Should i see an Allergist?

911DOC :

do you know what you are allergic to?

Customer:

It seems that the allergy comes in spring until late fall. also 2 cats my wife has.

Customer:

Are the EOS tests unusually high?

911DOC :

no, nothing to worry about, but an allergist visit might be very useful to define your allergies and to treat them specifically.

911DOC :

allergy immunotherapy can, over the course of 6 mos or so cure you of your allergies.

911DOC :

standing by

Customer:

Ok. I read EOS facts and some Leukemias and Lymphomas were mentioned. Would that be a concern?

911DOC :

only if the other forms of white blood cells were also high, and isolated eosinophilia (elevated eosinophils) is FAR more likely to be related to an allergy problem than to leukemia or lymphoma.... I would not worry about that at all.

911DOC :

standing by

Customer:

Ok. Thanks. I will make appointment for allergy tests.