Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

Ive been having issues with anxiety lately due to family and

I've been having issues with anxiety lately due to family and job pressures. My doctor has prescribed Lexapro starting at 5mg daily. On previous EKG's, I've been told I had a "borderline" long QT interval. Upon doing some research, I've noted that Lexapro is on the list of medications that can exacerbate this condition. Am I at an unreasonably increased risk for cardiac problems while taking this medication? I did inform my physician of my medical history, but she never really addressed it.
Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Yes, the Lexapro is a medicine that can affect the QT interval, but the risk associated with the Lexapro is rare, and primarily only seen in people on higher doses.

Therefore, there is no evidence that there is significant risk with using the drug, particularly at such a low dose. However, if it is necessary to consider using higher doses of the drug, it would be appropriate to periodically monitor the EKG to be certain that there is no effect on the QT interval.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.