Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

I have what is probably a dumb question, however...as I am

I have what is probably a dumb question, however...as I am due to go out of town in the next several days, I thought I might better ask. I had a sphincteroplasty back in December. I've had incontinence problems since, but they seem to be getting some better. The last week or two, I've noticed more mucus when wiping. The color varies from clear to yellow. For a while, there was a strong smell (I'll call it dead fish). Since, I've also noticed that my anus feels very dry and somewhat sore. The smell is not quite as strong now as it was and I can go to the bathroom without pain. I've recently increased my fiber, and have been drinking 10 glasses of water a day.

As this process has been a long road, I don't want to do anything to mess-up the surgery. My question is should I be concerned about infection.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing Internal Medicine Physician. Excellent service is my goal.

Thank you for this excellent question

I'm very sorry about this problem

I need to gather a bit more information in order to give you the best answer

1)were you okay up until now from a mucous standpoint?

2)have you take antibiotics lately for any reason?

3)why did you need the surgery originally?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1) I periodically had some mucus discharge. Never noticed a smell. I was actually passing more fecal matter (just some brown when I wiped). I noticed yesterday passing gas when going to the bathroom and having a green discharge in the toilet. Reminds me somewhat of the discharge I get when having a period.

2) The only thing I've had recently was a cortisone shot for bad case of poision ivy. However, I did for the first time since the surgery, have a date with my husband. I have always had trouble with UTIs afterwards so I take one low doseage antibiodic to prevent problems. This was a couple of weeks ago - so was the shot.

3) I had been having incontinence issues for awhile. We have no kids, and I've experienced no trauma. However, there was a portion of the sphincter muscle that was basically non-existant prior to surgery. When he did the overlapping sphincteroplasty, it put a thin piece of muscle in place to make it more anatomically correct. The idea being that if the surgery and the kegal exercises didn't work, there would be more muscle to work with to try other options.

Whew - hope this helps

Thank you Kathy

I appreciate all the info.

I do think this should definitely be checked for infection

Specifically there is an infection called c diff. This is a bacteria that causes a colon infection when you have taken antibiotics recently

Plus steroids can suppress your immune system

I recommend a stool test for

1)c diff

2)parasites

3)bacterial infection

Your primary doctor or urgent care can do this.

If hope this helps.

If you have more questions, just reply. :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the info. I'll contact my surgeon's nurse and see if they can work me in before I leave. I didn't even think about the shot suppressing the immune system.

You're welcome Kathy.

I really wish you the best

I hope you get well

Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it.
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience: Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution