Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Hi, Approximately 1 year ago, I noticed my hair thinning.

Approximately 1 year ago, I noticed my hair thinning. To give you a little more insight on myself, I want to share some of my recent medical history. Up until last November, I was an active 62 year old female. We go camping, kayaking, bike riding, etc. In early November I contracted a virus that really caused havic on my metabolism. I have been thru 6 months of blood tests, organ examinations thru sonograms, cardiac examinations, MRIs, Echocardiograms, and discussions with blood specialists to try to pinpoint what kind of virus I was exposed to. As of today, all my lab tests have returned to normal ranges and the conclusion of all the tests was that there is no definitive diagnosis, and no medication was needed. The only residual problem I was dealing with was dizziness. I just completed 8 weeks of vestibular therapy and am glad to report that I have almost overcome the dizziness,also.
Two weeks ago, I went to our local store that sells nutritional products (similar to GNC). I was asking for a product to treat my thinning hair (because it is really getting thin at this point). They suggested a product by BAO SHI called Restorative Hair Nutrients for Natural Hair Growth. One week into the product, I woke up with swollen lips. A few hours after taking an allergy medicine, the swelling disappeared. This morning (now two weeks on the product) I again have swelling in my lips. In researching the stinging nettle that is a part of this formula blend, I see that swelling of the face is a possible side effect.
What can you tell me about the BAO SHI product for Women's Restorative Hair Nutrients that will help me feel better about taking it, or should I continue with it?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am the moderator for this topic. I've been trying to find a professional to assist you, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected, as the professionals come online at varying times. I wonder whether you would like to continue waiting for an answer…hopefully it won’t take too much longer. Please let me know, and I will continue my search. If you’d prefer not to wait, please tell me, and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Camille - Moderator

Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello!

I would strongly advise you to stop the product that you are currently taking. The swelling of the lips is called angioedema. This is an allergic type response. Repeat exposures to the trigger could produce swelling if the vocal cords and could make it impossible for you to breath-- thus it could be fatal!!

I would advise you to follow up with your doctor in this. The trigger may or may not have been the hair nutritional product. Do you take any medications otherwise?? If so what do you take?? It may be a good precaution for your doctor to prescribe you an Epipen and antihistamine to have available should you have a recurrent problem...

As for the thin hair you may have some benefit with the topical product of Rogaine. I would advise that you consult a dermatologist with regard to this issue. I would also recommend that you have your thyroid function checked. Hypothyroidism is a possible cause of this symptom. The hair thinning is often genetic in nature though...

I hope that this information helps! Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you! If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be very much appreciated. Thank you and best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Bray,

I am taking other medication, such as 2 HBP medications that I have taken for over 25 years, and a HRT medication that I have taken for almost 13 years. The BAO SHI product is the only new one. I was hoping that these symtoms were only temporary, but after reading your warning about possible vocal cord swelling, I think I will take your advice and give it up. I have been in contact with the owner of the store where I bought it, and she is willing to take back the bottles and give me credit for it.

I am not really interested in the topical product like Rogaine, because I hear too many horror stories about the hair falling out again if you stop using it. Last week, coincidentally, I had my thyroid function checked, but I don't have test results back yet. Thank you for the advice,

Hello again,

You are very welcome! I hope that you find a good solution with the thinning hair. If you should take an ACE inhibitor then this would be another possible culprit of the angioedema. The ACE inhibitor is the main class of BP medicine that MAY be a cause of angioedema. Discuss this further with your doctor -- if you wish you may list your specific MEDS and I can tell you if you are taking an ACE inhibitor or not...

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Bray,

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX the BP medications I'm currently taking:

Verapamil ER 120mg tablets

Quinapril 40mg tablets (I believe this is the Accupril generic).

Wouldn't I have had a problem before 25 years had passed if there was something in either one of these medications that I was allergic to? That makes me think that the swelling isn't related to these. After the first swelling episode, I made sure that I didn't take the hair product at the same time as any other medications or vitamins, just in case.

Hello again,

The Quinapril is a possible culprit. This is an ACE inhibitor and may produce angioedema as a possible side effect. Yes -- you would EXPECT that if you were going to have a problem with angioedema due to this then it would be right away BUT as this is an allergy type mechanism it does become unpredictable. I would be cautious both of the most recent addition to your regimen ( the BOA SHI product) AND the ACE inhibitor. I urge you to follow up with your doctor on this!!

I hope that this is helpful for you! Let me know if you have further question! Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX Bray, I will consult with my PCP right away. He should also have my thyroid function results by now.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Nancy

Hello again,

OK that sounds good. I would be most interested in hearing back on these issues.

Let me know if I may be of further help! Take care!?

Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the field of Family Practice