911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician
19155615

I have thrombocytosis. Is there a way for me to increase the

I have thrombocytosis. Is there a way for me to increase the production of rbc while taking hydrea?
I had hemolytic anemia in 2011 and don't want to get it again, However my rbc keeps going down. Right now my Hematocrit is 35%.

911DOC :

Welcome, My answers are for educational purposes only. Remember please, that we do not get paid if you do not click 'accept' / give positive ratings!

911DOC :

Your hematocrit is one point low.

911DOC :

Hemolytic anemia is not something you can prevent, in fact, it is either hereditary or acquired, and the acquired form has to do with an auto-immune process.

911DOC :

So while eating red meat provides more iron which can help with anemia from blood loss or low iron

911DOC :

It doesn't have any effect on hemolytic anemia at all

911DOC :

In fact, the HYDREA can cause decreased hematocrit

911DOC :

Eating more red meat or taking iron supplements would not be a bad idea, but

911DOC :

at the same time I want to reassure you that a hematocrit of 35% is nothing to be concerned about

911DOC :

it may be normal for you

911DOC :

and, again,

911DOC :

does not mean anything about hemolytic anemia nor does it predict whether you will get it again or not

911DOC :

do you have questions for me about my answer?

911DOC :

are you there?

911DOC :

I do not see you in the chat. I am going to switch to the Q and A format to facilitate this discussion. If your question has been adequately answered I do so appreciate positive feedback. If you have further questions or desire clarification simply type your response in the box below and click ‘reply’ and I will be back with you as soon as I can.

Should you need my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc only’.

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My concern re the rbc is that each time I have blood work the hematocrit goes down.

35% is technically low. if your hematocrit were 35 then 33 then 31 then 28 then I would be concerned. As it stands right now you can drive yourself a bit crazy looking at numbers. Understand that your hematocrit can vary naturally a few points from draw to draw. Since you have thrombocytosis and are on a medicine that can cause a slightly low hematocrit I think you can stop worrying about this now.

Best