Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

wife is 64 years got shaking so bad never had it before She

wife is 64 years got shaking so bad never had it before She is diabetic but her numbers are normal. Like she was freezing. Any answers as to what is going on inside of her?

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

When did this start for her?? Just today ??

Anthony Bray MD :

It sounds that she might have rigors due to fever onset as a possible cause of this.. This could be in response to a developing infection ....

Anthony Bray MD :

Does she have any symptoms that might fit with a urinary tract infection ( very common in diabetics) such as back pain, nausea, frequent urination?? burning with urination?

Anthony Bray MD :

Does she have any symptoms of a respiratory infection? Cough, sinus congestion or shortness of breath??

Anthony Bray MD :

If you can give further details of what she is experiencing then this would be helpful!!

Customer:

Thx, she takes many pills as she has stenosis of the spine. She just started this shaking like an hour ago. She says she has none of the above problems. Presently she is in bed under blankets trying to warm herself a bit more. Says she is a tiney bit better.

Anthony Bray MD :

OK well I think that it may help if you have thermometer to check for possible fever as cause...

Anthony Bray MD :

Normal temp is 98.6 plus/minus 1.3 degrees... so greater than 99.9 defines fever...

Anthony Bray MD :

I would advise that you and she watch for symptoms and likely follow up with her doctor tomorrow if she is still not feeling well....

Anthony Bray MD :

I think that the comfort measures that you are taking are fine for tonight....

Anthony Bray MD :

I still suspect that onset of fever would be the most likely cause of her feeling chilled BUT that other causes could be present...

Customer:

Thx, she shows no outward signs of fever (forhead seems cool enough) She says no fever now at least thats for now. She takes l vicodin every 4 hours for pain due to stenosis of the spine. She is to have back surgery next month.

Customer:

Can arthritis flare ups be a cause of this?

Anthony Bray MD :

I see. well I hope that she feels better soon >> I will be online tonight until about 1 AM if she has further developments then feel welcome to discuss these further with me...

Anthony Bray MD :

No I would NOT expect a flare up of arthritis to make her feel chilled .. pain YES but chilled >NO not really...

Customer:

Thanks doctor, and tell me how to get you back online please. Im not real tecknical when it comes to PC use.

Anthony Bray MD :

Hypothyroidism may cause cold intolerance but this would not have a rapid onset...

Customer:

Ok i will tell her.

Anthony Bray MD :

Sure you may reach me at any time by accessing my profile page >> http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-anthonybraymd/

Customer:

She asks, what about carpal tunel would that have any bearing on being chilled?

Anthony Bray MD :

No > that would cause symptoms such as tingling , possibly pain of the hand or weakness but not a chilled feeling...

Anthony Bray MD :

How is her blood sugars readings if she checks these on a regular basis ( I realize that she may not check these if she is type 2...)

Anthony Bray MD :

Often a diabetic if they get any infection may have a rise in their blood sugars....

Customer:

She is a small bit better she says thank you so much for your expert and prompt replies, you are a god send sir. She checked a half hour ago it was l06.

Anthony Bray MD :

She is most welcome! OK that blood sugar reading looks fine....

Anthony Bray MD :

Let me know if you should have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!

Anthony Bray MD :

If she is feeling poorly by tomorrow still then I think a follow up with her doctor would be a good idea....

Customer:

I would like to get back to you sir if she has not improved will see how things go from here and thank you so much. Dave.

Anthony Bray MD :

That will be fine! Let me know if she has further issues and I will be happy to get back with you!!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, wife just had a vomit spell which may have been here issue all along. She seems to be better she says. The shakes have disappeared thank fully. I will watch her carefully now. Thank you what a helpful person you are. Dave.

Hello again,

I think that something is going on with her feeling the chills earlier and now the vomiting. It may be a GI bug >> could be viral gastroenteritis but other causes are possible. UTI could fit with her symptoms even though she may not have classic symptoms for example. If she should have a gastroenteritis then she may develop diarrhea as well. So I would watch for this as a possible development. Keep an eye for fever and other symptoms of concern.

Let me know if you have other concerns or questions. I will be happy to get back with you!

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD