Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Hi: I am prediabetic and female age 61. I test my sugar every

Customer Question

Hi: I am prediabetic and female age 61. I test my sugar every day and it is usually 97-104. I have had tonsillitis for 2 weeks and the dr. treated it as a virus and gave me no antibiotics. It came back with a vengeance and I went back on Mon and got Augmentin 625mg. My throat is better but my sugar has been rising everyday. It is 152 this am. What should I do?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

RickMD :

Internal medicine internship in NYC with two decades of clinical experience. I am online and available to assist you today.

RickMD :

It is not unusual for your blood sugar to go up when you have an infection.

RickMD :

Do you take any medication, a pill or insulin, for you diabetes? Since you said you are a pre-diabetic, I would guess that you do not.....

Customer:

I do not take anything for it; I watch my food and drink no alcohol and it is usually under control at 97-104 each day.

RickMD :

Ok. That is what I thought.

RickMD :

The blood sugar level you currently have is not an emergency to treat.

Customer:

I was dx with the tonsillitis 14 days ago and I think the dr. treated it as a virus and did not give me antibiotics. Is my sugar going to keep goin up and if so what then?

RickMD :

That being said, and I don't know what time it is in (I'm assuming) South Korea right now but you should consult with a doctor as you will need medication or short term insulin to control your blood sugar while the infection gets under control.

Customer:

Ok I can get to a hospital here; is it this pill in the specific or just any antibiotic?

RickMD :

Usually it is not the antibiotic that causes your sugar to go up, but rather the stress of the infection.

RickMD :

It is 5 pm on Monday here in the Midwest of USA...what time is it on your side of the world?

Customer:

I see; so I will need insulin while I get better? It is 7am here.

RickMD :

Either insulin or just a diabetes pill....

RickMD :

If you don't mind my asking, how are things going with all the saber rattling in the North? Does it affect you much?

Customer:

Ok; I will get over there. Thanks,

RickMD :

My pleasure.

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick: I got to the hospital today and they changed my medication but will not give me insulin without further tests. So we will see, I will back there in one week. Re the No Korea thing; the fat guy up North does a lot of dancing around to impress his military generals who all think he is too young for the job (he is.) However, the Chinese are not happy with him and have been putting on the pressure. China actually funnels a lot of $$$$ and supplies into No Korea via jobs on the border at the factories and other 'stuff'. The Chinese walk very, very softly and carry an enormous stick; so, we will see what happens. Things have calmed down a bit. Thanks. CW

Courtney,

I'm glad that they have changed things around and are watching your blood sugars. Hopefully when your infection has resolved your sugars will settle back down.

Thanks for the insight on NK. You have confirmed what I thought: If NK pisses off China, they will be squashed like a bug. I'm glad that China is on "our side" in this issue. :)

Take care and let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr Rick; the doctor changed the meds to Banan and in 24 hours my sugar dropped down to 119. Wow! scary, I guess no more Augmentin for me. Thanks! CW

Courtney,

That is great. But, I wonder if your elevated blood sugar was more from your throat infection then the augmentin......

In any event it really doesn't matter as long as you are better :)