Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

I had spinal surgery 2010 on my L5-S1 vertebrae when I found

I had spinal surgery 2010 on my L5-S1 vertebrae when I found out I have degenerative disk disisease. I was still in pain and after 6 months and 1 and 1/2 years of taking Norcor my surgen just stopped given me any pain medication. I went to my GM and he gave me some med that was $200 which I could not afford. after 2 weeks of the most horrible pain I have every been in I got the meds which helped. He then gave me Tylenol #3 which I have been on ever sense. While taking the Norcor I was up to 12 a day and after going off the road in la my GM put me on perminate disability. I cannot walk more then half a block. I sleep on 2 hours a time at night. I have also been on alprazolam for over 20 years after my divorce. I have to get off all my meds. I cannot do anything. I have no insurance until next march . How can I stop taking all my meds with the pain I am in every minute of every day.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

RickMD :

Internal medicine internship in NYC with two decades of clinical experience. I am online and available to assist you today.

RickMD :

Can you tell me what medications you are currently on, what dosages and about how long you have been on them?

RickMD :

hi. Welcome to chat.

Customer:

tylenol #3 - 2 every 4 hours

Customer:

alprazalam- 1 to 2 every 6 hours

Customer:

valium 10mg 1 to 2 every 6 hours

Customer:

temazapam - 1 at bedtime to sleep, doesnt work

Customer:

Tylenol 3 been on for over a year - alprazalam over 20 years - valium 6 months - temazapam 1 month

RickMD :

Ok. Thank you for that extra information.

RickMD :

Do you want to stop all these medications at once and cold turkey?

Customer:

yes, the surgen that did the operation only saw me for 6 months and then it was only for maybe 1 minute. My left leg is numb and my left arm has no strenth. when I ask him about it all he would say is what he did was fine. after he cut off the norcor he told me to come into his office for pain help. his office visit was $400 and his pain place was $600 a visit so I never went.

I'm sorry, the chat system froze up. We can continue here....
Who has been prescribing your medication for you at this point?

Have you talked to that doctor about your desire to get off all these medications?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have not rec anything from you

I have been spending all our time so far trying to gather more information about your rather complex issue. Did you see my post above?

Let me retype it for you here:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my gp and he is stopping all meds.

Ok. I'm sorry, I might have misinterpreted your question. I thought you want to stop all your medicine cold turkey.

But, and correct me if I am wrong, you want to know how you can possibly live all of a sudden without your medication since your GP is going to take you off of them no matter what you want.

Is this correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

that is correct. the time I tried to stop taking the alprazalam I wanted to kill my self. yes to your question.

Ok. I apologize for my misunderstanding. At least we are now both on the same track...

I agree with your feelings: To stop all these medicines at the same time is just too difficult. This is especially true given your past experience when you last stopped the alprazolam.

Unfortunately, your only option at this time is to find a new doctor who can give you the help you need. A pain management MD would be a good choice but, as you pointed out,they can be expensive.

The good news is that many pain management clinics will offer discounts for care. Also, large University Medical centers offer expert care at reduced or no cost to patients who would otherwise not be able to be treated.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

I'm sure if you contact your local medical society, health centers or county health clinic (usually located near or in the courthouse) you will be able to get the care you need to continue the meds you must have.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC