Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I get a cramp on my right side under my rib from time to time

I get a cramp on my right side under my rib from time to time due to exercise. I know this is normal but should it be tender if I touch while just standing/sitting? It's not painful if I touch it but I can tell it's more tender versus my left side. Thoughts?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.
This is nothing to worry about.
In an otherwise healthy young woman like yourself this probably just represents a minor strain of a muscle or a touch of costochondritis. It is not unusual to feel a bit different on the affected side, just like you are experiencing.
If needed you can take some tylenol. Soaking in a hot tub will also help.
Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the quick reply. Well, about a month ago I had this same pain but I would just be walking.. not even doing anything vigorous. I am very active, working out 5 times a week usually, so for the pain/ uncomfortableness to occur just while simply walking was strange. This went on and off for about two weeks and has now subsided. I got the cramp again recently from running and now I can tell it's tender. Is there something I should be doing to make sure I don't make it worse or more uncomfortable in the future? Thank you.
That is a very good question. From what you have posted, it might be form a problem with your gait....if your shoes are older, one thing you might consider is getting new ones.
Also, it is possible that you are not hydrated enough; I would suggest drinking Gatorade or something like it to keep your electrolytes balanced.
Since this pain is so intermittent it is going to be difficult to come up with a specific treatment....but the good news is that in 99.9 of cases there is nothing to worry about. :)
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again for the help. So, even though 99.9 of the cases are nothing to worry about, when would you suggest I go to the doctor? If the pain gets worse I'm guessing or if it persists for a certain period of time? (i.e. a month?) That's my last question.. :) Thanks!
Yes. That is correct. If the pain gets worse, occurs more often or, of course, if you are more concerned.
The chances are, however, that everything will be OK.
As a person who has given 72 positive ratings in the past I am sure you know how much fun the excellent feedback button is to push... :)
Have a good day and let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you.
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC