Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I just took my 8 years sons fever, it read 102.3.

I just took my 8 years son's fever, it read 102.3. Should I bring him to the er? I have a ice pack on his head and gave him Motrin about 15 mins.

Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information

Does he has sore throat/ cough?
Is he having neck stiffness?
Difficulty breathing or chest pain?
Any change in bowel movements?
Is he accepting fluids?
For how long he has fever?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He doesn't have a sore throat or cough. His neck is not stiff. He not having problem breathing or no chest pain. He mention his stomach was hurting but no change with the bowel movements. He drunk fluids today. The fever was seen about two hours ago

Dear Customer, Thanks for providing quick additional information. I'm so sorry to hear of about your son's discomfort.

It sounds that he is suffering with viral stomach flu.
Viral infections of the gastro intestinal tract will usually resolve within 48-72 hours, however some infections may last up to one week.
He should be given plenty of fluids. Clear fluids such as clear juices, the syrup juice from canned fruit, or electrolyte drinks
(i.e. Gatorade).

You should try using the BRAT diet which includes Bananas (good source of potassium), Rice, Applesauce and toast. This would be helpful.

You should continue with ice packs, and please check again, his temperature. Keep an eye on his temperature for next 6 hours.
In case, if even after 6 hours, temperature doesn't start to come down, then please don't delay and take him to ER ASAP.

You should continue with ice packs on head and neck, also use it on arms and legs.
Keep an eye on his eye on his temperature. In case, in next 6 hours, if fever doesn't goes down, then please take him to ER.
You should get him clinically examined from doctor.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Hello.
How are you doing? Let me know if you have any more follow up questions.
Thank you and take care.
Dr. Robert