Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Why does my stomach hurt when I move forward while being in

Why does my stomach hurt when I move forward while being in a sitting position? Thank you.

RickMD :

Internal medicine internship in NYC with two decades of clinical experience. I am online and available to assist you today.

RickMD :

How long has this been going on for?

RickMD :

Do you have any other symptoms?

RickMD :

Any medical problems? Do you take any medication?

Customer:

It's been going on maybe for 4 or 5 hours.

Customer:

No other symptoms.

Customer:

I do have gastritis.

RickMD :

Any nausea, vomiting or diarrhea?

RickMD :

Did the pain wake you from sleeping?

Customer:

I take 320 mg of Diovan HCT, 125 MCG of Synthroid, 10 mg of Buspar twice a day, and only for the last 13 days have I taken Prilosec.

Customer:

No nausea, vomiting, nor diarrhea.

Customer:

It did not wake me from sleeping.

RickMD :

Ok. So. Did you start noticing the stomach problems two weeks ago and now you have this new pain?

Customer:

No, I started taking Prilosec because previously I would get stomach problems off and on, and this new pain started suddenly, yes.

Customer:

I also had a severe case of constipation. However, by using a Fleet enema and eating 40 grams of fiber daily for 2 or 3 days, I went from having a bowel movement twice a week to 5 times a week.

RickMD :

Ok. Well, I must admit, I do not like this new pain that has not resolved in over 5 hours. It might be from an gastric ulcer, pancreatitis, a pinched nerve or maybe just a gas pocket....

RickMD :

The problem is that this type of a pain could be a sign of something serious (ulcer) or no big deal (gas bubble). The only way to be sure is to have a doctor take a look at you.

RickMD :

That is an improvement in your bowels. That is good.

Customer:

I just had an endoscopy done on November 3, 2012, and all I had was gastritis.

RickMD :

That is good but, of course, a ulcer could have formed since then.....

Customer:

Should I try to take Gas-X and see if the pain goes away?

RickMD :

You can probably try some tylenol, putting a hot pad on your stomach and laying down and see how things go over the next few hours.

RickMD :

Yes. Gas X is a good idea...

Customer:

I also had a colonoscopy done on October 27, 2008, and all I had was hemorrhoids.

RickMD :

I wouldn't think that pain this high up would be from something a colonoscopy would see. Anyway, at least you are up to date on that test.

Customer:

If the Gas-X helps, would that be an indication that it was probably a gas bubble?

Customer:

The pain is right above my belly button.

Customer:

I would describe the pain as mild to moderate.

RickMD :

Oh....I visualized it a bit higher.

Customer:

Maybe a 3 or 4 on a scale of 1 to 10, and only when I lean forward while in a sitting position.

RickMD :

I would try the gasx, the tylenol and hot pad with laying down for an hour or two.

RickMD :

If things do not improve or, of course, if they get worse, then have your MD take a look this afternoon. This is the safest course of action without rushing to the ER....

Customer:

If the Gas-X does help though, would that be a probable sign that it was a gas bubble?

RickMD :

Yes. And that would be excellent news :)