Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Good morning, I am a 61 year old female in general good health

Good morning, I am a 61 year old female in general good health but with an arthritic hip. I managed it very well with regular swimming exercise until I broke my shoulder 5 months ago. My shoulder is now healed and i have almost regained full mobility so a few weeks ago i was able to resume my swimming. However, two and a half months ago my hip pain came back with a venegence and i have had difficulty walking and even driving. My question is: can I safely take naproxen gastro resistant 500mg pills twice a day? And if so for how long? Are they more advisable than, say, voltaren 50mg? Thank you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Welcome here and thank you for your question.I am Dr.Robert & will do whatever I can to help answer your questions.First I need a little more information-

Have you recently undergone x-ray of hip?
Do you have history of gastro issues?
Is there any other known medical illness?

I am waiting for your reply.
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes i recently had an x ray which confirmed the arthritic hip. i am not aware of any gastro issues. i m currently taking a diuretic pill "indapamida gp*" for slightly high blood pressure. I am slightly overweight - 72 kios /1m69 and have a healthy diet.

* this is the Portuguese generic name (Ilive in Portugal). My concern about the anti inflammatory ill is because one hears of associated risk of heart attack or stroke. I have no known heart problem but would like to take the anti. inflam with the least risk. I would love to do without mediction but I would also like to become more active again. I enjoy walking but find I can do less and less.

thank you

Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Dear Melinda,
Thank you for providing additional info.

Naproxen belongs to a class of drugs called nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).Naproxen blocks the enzyme that makes prostaglandins (cyclooxygenase), resulting in lower concentrations of prostaglandins.This reduces the inflammation & hence the pain of the arthritis.

Initial dosage of naproxen is 250 mg to 500 mg (naproxen) or 275 mg to 550 mg (naproxen sodium) orally twice a day.

For EC-Naproxen,(Enteric coated,gastro resistant) naproxen the usual dose is 375-500 mg twice daily.

The main treatment is nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) These are anti-inflammatory drugs that can also relieve pain and stiffness.

The goal of treatment is relief of discomfort and stiffness.Physical activity is important to maintain bone and muscle strength.Exercise can reduce the pain and improve your overall sense of well-being.

Voltaren contains diclofenac sodium. As you have slightly high blood pressure,so it is not recommended to you.Naproxen is better for you then voltaren.

You can apply voltraen gel along with taking naproxen orally.

So the botXXXXX XXXXXne is that you can take the naproxen gastro resistant 500 mg pills twice a day.Also let your doctor know about this dosage.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you for your business!

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX more thing how long should I continue taking the naproxen? And at night if the discomfort prevents me sleeping, can I take a paracetamol and codeine tablet?

Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.

If you do not get any side effect,then enteric coated naproxen can be taken for few weeks to few months.

Yes,for pain relief you can take paracetamol and codeine tablet as additional medication but it should be taken only occasionally & not daily.

Apply ointment Emulgel ot voltaren gel.Its active ingredient diclofenac sodium, belongs to a drug category called non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs(NSAID’s) It will reduce the inflammation & pain.This is available without prescription.Massage the area a few minutes every hour. This is supposed to decrease swelling and increase blood flow.

Hope this helped.

Thank you for your business!

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi JA customer,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Have you applied voltaren gel?
How is your pain now?

Let me know,
Dr.Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, thank you. I apply voltaren gel at night at it gives sufficient relief for me to sleep an hour or two, then I apply it again. I suspect though that I will need a hip replacement, sooner rather than later.

Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Dear Melinda,

Thanks for rating my answer.
Its good to know that voltaren gel has provided you great relief.

Its too early to say about hip replacement.

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert