Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Im having terrible stomach pain for almost 4 days, it have

I'm having terrible stomach pain for almost 4 days, it have went away for a few hours at a time and just when I think it's over it starts again. It's a spasm like feeling in my upper center abdomen.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

DR HASAN :

Hi

DR HASAN :

Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today with your question. I will be happy to assist you with your follow up questions also. I need few details.

DR HASAN :

Are you having any chest pain in med line?

DR HASAN :

mid line?

Customer:

not my chest, just below in my upper stomach

DR HASAN :

Any relation to food intake?

Customer:

there seems to be no relation

DR HASAN :

is there any pain on pressing that area of pain?

DR HASAN :

Any nausea, vomiting etc?

Customer:

no. bowels are normal. I am having a lot of burping

DR HASAN :

Which antacids you have tried?

Customer:

pepto, baking soda, maylox

Customer:

the pain is constantly uncomfortable with regular spasm like cramps

DR HASAN :

Do you drink alcohol?

Customer:

occasionally

DR HASAN :

What are you eating for last 3 days?

Customer:

nothing unusual...the last couple days I've eaten very light

DR HASAN :

Thanks a lot for your input. I am really sorry to hear about your pain.

Customer:

today eggs and toast, yesterday chicken soup and cheese sandwich. the days before normal food, chicken veggies

DR HASAN :

As per symptoms the likely cause of your problem is acid reflux.

DR HASAN :

There is a very rare possibility of condition like pancreatitis. But its least likely.

DR HASAN :

I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations OTC Cap omeprazole 40mg daily can help you a lot.

DR HASAN :

The antacids you have tried are weak one.

DR HASAN :

Along with that sips of cold milk are advised.

DR HASAN :

Preferably use skimmed milk.

DR HASAN :

Avoid tea, coffee, alcohol and spicy foods.

DR HASAN :

If the above measures help you in next 12 hours then keep using them.

DR HASAN :

Otherwise see your doctor or go to ER because you may need further investigations and sometime injection of antacids help in this situation.

DR HASAN :

Lastly you can take 2 table spoons of OTC syp gaviscon twice daily.

DR HASAN :

I hope you will get better.

DR HASAN :

Any question?

Customer:

no questions...thank you

DR HASAN :

You are most welcome. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to assist you always. Regards

Customer:

;

DR HASAN :

Anything i can help you with ?

Customer:

i'm sorry my screen is stuck and I can't see your last communication, thank you

DR HASAN :

Its ok.

Customer:

got it..thanks again I will try your suggestions

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Beth thanks for the positive rating. I just want to add for your help that you should consider ER visit earlier because acid reflux can lead to ulcers in stomach which can bleed sometime so consider early visit to ER and do ask your doctor if you need workup for H pylori infection because in that cause you may need antibiotics with omeprazole. I again wish you all the best. You don't need to rate the answer again. Good luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did think of a question if it's not too late... I responded that I use alcohol occasionally...which is true however the night before the pain started I have a night of pretty heavy alcohol use, could that be the cause?

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for getting back to me. You can always feel free to ask anything anytime. Yes it can be the cause. Alcohol usage specially when in excess can cause increased acid production, gastritis or stomach ulcer. You should be very careful next time and should never drink in excess. Regards