Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

Hi Doctor, Im in Manila 32 years old male. I have been feeling

Hi Doctor, I'm in Manila 32 years old male. I have been feeling tired lately. I went to the clinic today and got CBC done and the results shows that my white blood cell count is at 4,340 when the reference interval should be between 4,800 to 10,800 (unit mm3) is this too low and should I be concerned about it.

everything else in the CBC results seem to be within the normal range.

thanks
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Hello and Welcome to Just Answer.

Thank you for the question. Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a Medical Internist (who deals with diseases of all the organ systems of body) and I will do my best to find an answer for you.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Since how long?

Do you have any other symptoms?

Fever?

Body aches?

Cough?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

nothing serious, no fever. was just concerned cause I feeling tired lately.

is white blood cell count of 4.3 too low? the results says that range is 4.8 to 10.8

thanks

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Dear Omar,

Thank you very much for the useful information.

This is called Leucopenia (low white cell count) and there are many reasons for this.

Infections

Drugs

Bone marrow disorders

Radiation

B-12 and folate deficiency

And many others.

4.3 is not considered seriously low or too low.

This is mild.

And in your case the most likely possibility is of a viral infection, which classically gives you fatigue, lethargy as well as mild derangement in the laboratory tests like leucopenia (low white cell count) and raised ALT (liver test).

This is in general a transient state and reverse back to normal in few days or a week.

At this point, i will suggest you to have rest.

Keep yourself adequately hydrated.

Well balanced diet.

And Co-enzyme Q-10 supplements will also help.

Get the test repeated after a week and see if this reverse back to normal or not.

If the symptoms persist, and the lab results do not improve or get worse after a week or so, have this discussed in detail by your doctor in order to chalk out further management plan and tests that suit best to your needs.

But honestly, i personally feel (as per my experience) that it is transient and will improve spontaneously.

I hope this clarifies and answers your question.

I would have been worried too if I were at your place, but let me reassure you that this is a treatable condition and carries a good prognosis with appropriate management.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.
Hello Omar.
I am here just for a follow up.
How do you feel now?
Is there anything else i can help you with?
I will be glad to assist.