Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician

What can I do for a yellow jacket bite or sting?

Welcome here and thank you for your question.
I am Dr.Robert & will do whatever I can to help answer your questions.First I need a little more information-

When were you bitten?
What is the site of bite on your body?
Is there swelling or pain?

I am waiting for your reply.
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Dr. Robert,

Thank you for your quick response. I was bitten on my leg just behind my knee earlier this evening, I would say about 6 hours ago. There doesn't seem to be any signs of allergies however, it feels like the yellow jacket stung or bit me twice because there are two spots of swelling. Also when I bend my leg it feels like I am getting bit again. There are no signs of a stinger but there are short bursts of pain but a constant feeling of bruising if that makes any sense. Thank you again for your response.

Dear Josalyn,
Thank you to you also for providing quick additional info.

In most of the cases,yellow jacket bite or sting bites can be easily treated at home.

Following will help you greatly to treat it:

-Wash the site thoroughly with soap and water.

-Place ice (wrapped in a washcloth) on the site of the sting for 10 minutes and then off for 10 minutes.

-Although 6 hours has passed & you do not have any symptom of infection,over the next several days,watch for signs of infection (such as increasing redness, swelling, or pain).

-Take tab.benadryl (anti allergic) once a day.It is available as over the counter(OTC) without prescription.

-Apply cream containing hydrocortisone.If the area is large then apply Calamine lotion.

-Take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as Ibuprofen 400mg from your counter.It will reduce the pain & swelling.

If these treatment steps does not help in 24-48 hours after this treatment,then you need to see your doctor at urgent care & accordingly antibiotics may be prescribed if the infection is confirmed.

Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you for your repeat business!

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Hi JA customer,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Do you have any increased swelling?
Has your pain subsided?

Let me know,