Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
3452947

Hi, my son developed a rash when where in Bali about 15 days

Hi, my son developed a rash when where in Bali about 15 days ago. He took antihistamine for 3 days and the rash went away. We came back to Sydney a week ago. Then 2 days ago on Thursday evening he developed a itchy rash that looked like hives, I gave him another antihistamine and the rash went down. The next morning (Friday) the rash was down 95% but his hands and feet were very painful. I took him to my GP and he diagnosed the rash as Erythema multiforme and prescribed 7ml of redipred once a day for 3-5 days. He had his first dose at 11.30am on Friday. The rash and the painful hands and feet disappeared within 1.5 hours. Then this morning (Saturday) at 4am my son woke me up because the itchy rash had come back, it was the same as it was Thursday evening. I gave him another 7 ml dose of redipred- although it had only been 18 hours since his last dose and the rash went down really quickly.

My questions is when shall I give him the next dose, do I give it to him before he goes to bed tonight at around 9.30m (18 hours after the previous dose) or do I wait till Sunday morning (28 hours after previous dose) with the risk that the rash comes back again in the middle of the night?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Das, MD replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question.

The dosage of Redipred is once a day, meaning once every 24 hours. You need to give him his next dose 24 hours after the last dose. This will however mean the middle of the night at 4.30 am. You can delay the dose about 2 hours and give it to him at 6.30 or 7 am. Delaying it for 4 hours is a bit too late.

But it will be better to delay the fose than give it too early.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, what can I do if at 2am the rash comes back (all over his body) can I give him an antihistamine?

Yes, you can give him an antihistamine to control the symptoms till the next dose of Redipred.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there anything else you can recommend to make my son feel more confortable if itchy rash appears in the middle of the night?

Yes, you can apply a cold pack on the itchy area as soon as it appears. It will cause the tissues to cool down and decrease the release of mast cells - the main cause of the itchiness.

If you have any calamine lotion, that will also help to decrease the itchiness.

A mild steroid crema like Cortizone, available without a prescription will decrease the itchiness as well as the rash. You may not need to give him the antihistaminic if you can apply the steroid as soon as the first symptoms of the rash appear.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your help

You are welcome.

Please give me a positive rating so that i cna receive credit for the answer.

Thanks.
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.