Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

hey doc. I told you a few weeks ago that I have recently quit

hey doc. I told you a few weeks ago that I have recently quit using smokeless tobacco. I have been quit now for about 3 months. Well I have been eating alot of sunflower seeds and I hold the seeds on the side where I used to hold the tobacco. A few days ago I noticed that i felt a rough spot in my lower cheek area where I have been holding the seeds. You can barely see anything when you look at it with a light but it looks like a little line of dead skin. Do you think this is from the seeds ?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

DR HASAN :

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today with your question. I will be happy to assist you with your follow up questions also. I need few details.

DR HASAN :

Is there any lymph node in neck on that side?

Customer:

no swollen lymph node. i can't feel anything

DR HASAN :

Ok

DR HASAN :

Thanks for your confidence in me.

DR HASAN :

How big is that area and what exactly is the color?

Customer:

its not big at all. its like a little piece of skin. its white. I don't really think it leukoplakia.

DR HASAN :

Does it burn or give a painful feeling?

Customer:

no

DR HASAN :

Thanks a lot for your input.

DR HASAN :

Yes this can be because of seed.

DR HASAN :

Continuous pressure or irritation at one specific point can do this.

DR HASAN :

However leukoplakia is out of question because seeds of any kind can cause this.

DR HASAN :

Moreover neither your description nor your symptoms are consistent.

Customer:

you mean leukoplakia is not out of question?

DR HASAN :

Yes definitely, leukoplakia is never like a light patch

DR HASAN :

it has mostly associated symptoms like slight burning.

Customer:

no cancer?

DR HASAN :

Cancer , i will not even think of cancer with the description you have given.

DR HASAN :

I have worked a lot with oral cancer patients so i know this stuff.

Customer:

would oral cancer be rare for me even with my tobacco history?

DR HASAN :

yes because you have left it already and moreover not everyone with history of tobacco use gets oral cancer.

DR HASAN :

day by day your risk is decreasing.

Customer:

I just had a friend 35yrs. old that was diagnosed with tongue cancer and now its in his lymph nodes. He never smoked or dipped. I guess this has me freaked out

DR HASAN :

well yes i can understand your concern but with what you have told me, i can assure you that it is neither precancer nor cancer.

Customer:

i went to the dentist about a month after I quit which would have been about 2 months ago and he said that all my tissues looked good. He also said that mouth cancer was a pretty rare cancer especially for my age.

DR HASAN :

Yes that's another aspect that your age is not ideal to have oral cancer and 2 months back your normal examination is again reassuring.

DR HASAN :

you have done a great job by quitting smoking, it's never easy.

DR HASAN :

Please don't stress yourself.

Customer:

I can't quit freaking out about cancer. Do you think this is just a phase? I haven't always been like this. I didn't become this way until I quit using tobacco.

DR HASAN :

Well sometime withdrawal of nicotine can cause some problems.

DR HASAN :

You can use nicotine gum if you want.

Customer:

I am chewing it now. HAHA

DR HASAN :

But you should rather be relaxed now that you have left major cause of cancer.

DR HASAN :

HAHA.

DR HASAN :

That's great.

Customer:

Do most oral cancers appear on the tongue?

DR HASAN :

No they can occur anywhere but yes on tongue they are more common.

Customer:

what about hpv?

DR HASAN :

Out of question.

DR HASAN :

with this description.

Customer:

I have been married for 8yrs. and we have both been faithful, so if i had hpv in my system, do you think it could be gone now?

DR HASAN :

No it doesn't go away but if you have never shown it up and if you have a single clean partner then you are not likely to have it.

Customer:

so hpv never leaves your body??

DR HASAN :

So anything else in your mind?

DR HASAN :

never

Customer:

so you don't think I should be concerned based on what ive told you?

Customer:

no biopsy or anything like that

DR HASAN :

I am confident that you don't need anything

DR HASAN :

even if someone has a lesion, biopsy is recommended if the lesion stays there for more than 3 months.

DR HASAN :

early biopsy is only done if doctor is sure that it is cancer.

Customer:

so you really think my odds are good not getting oral cancer right now with me quitting dipping?

DR HASAN :

you don't have any single point indicative of cancer.

DR HASAN :

yes sure.

Customer:

one last question.

DR HASAN :

yes please

Customer:

is oral cancer hereditary??

DR HASAN :

No

DR HASAN :

it's not.

DR HASAN :

I have never seen a single case of hereditary oral cancer.

Customer:

what do you think could have caused my friends cancer??

DR HASAN :

although i must have seen more than 700 cases.

DR HASAN :

one thing, yes it has slight predisposition if certain genes are present.

DR HASAN :

Your friend might have that.

Customer:

well that doesnt sound like its that rare of a cancer

Customer:

700 cases

Customer:

wow

Customer:

you dont even look old enough to have seen that many cases

DR HASAN :

Yes because I work in a tertiary care center where we get a lot of referrals so rare things become common there :)

DR HASAN :

I have worked in head and neck surgery.

DR HASAN :

So we used to run cancer clinic and surgery there.

Customer:

very many young people??

DR HASAN :

So yes i have seen so many.

DR HASAN :

Not really. mostly after 40

DR HASAN :

but yes one or two very young patients

DR HASAN :

like of 25 to 30 years of age.

Customer:

ok doc. so you think i should just chill out

DR HASAN :

Hmmmmmmmmmm

DR HASAN :

No

DR HASAN :

I think you should not just chill

DR HASAN :

you should freeze :)

DR HASAN :

Just enjoy and don't stress yourself.

Customer:

thanks doc. I really appreciate your help

DR HASAN :

You are most welcome as always.

DR HASAN :

Please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to assist you always.

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hello doc. i am still scared about this rough patch in my mouth. i cant really see anything and neither can my wife, but i can still feel it with my tongue. do you really think i shouldnt worry about oral cancer? my wife thinks im nuts. haha

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your input. This is definitely not cancer or precancerous. This is just an irritated area secondary to seed or might be due to anything else you might have eaten. But cancer is out of question. Please relax and don't stress your wife :) she is right. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

could this be from where i used to hold the tobacco in my mouth and its just not healed all the way?

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
When did you do that? I mean how many days weeks or months ago? Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i dipped smokeless tobacco for 10yrs. and i have been quit for almost 3 months.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Yes it can be from tobacco use but only if you had it 3 months ago when you left tobacco but if you have felt it for last few days then I assure you that it's not because of tobacco. Sometime trauma from teeth can give such raw areas. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i also have a little white bump under my tongue that hurts. like a lie bump. nothing to worry about??

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your input. Remember that the lesion that hurts is inflammatory in origin and is almost always never cancer. So just chill. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so based on what i told you about the rough patch, what makes you think its probably not cancer?

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
First of all the description you have given is not consistent with oral cancer. It's not like that we feel something in mouth and it turns out to be cancer. Oral cancers are aggressive and they starts as an ulcer or a growth, so simply feeling a rough area that too which Is not visible cannot make me think that you have cancer. Then of course your age, absence of lymph nodes are other factors which itself are a strong clinical evidence that you are not having cancer. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i can barely see a little piece of white skin where im feeling the rough patch. i guess its either from the sunflower seed or it was there all along and i didnt notice it. i didnt notice it until my friend was diagnosed with a tumor on his tongue and lymphnodes. is there anything i can do to maybe help it heal?

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Yes both possibilities are there but just likely it was always there and you didn't notice it. Yes you can check your pharmacy for gentian violet. If you get this over the counter, you can apply it twice daily. If you visit your dentist you can ask him for kenalog in orobase, you can even ask your gp for it. But hopefully gentian will help you. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so no way you think the little white piece of skin where im feeling this rough patch could be cancer?

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
I really don't think so and that is why I am reassuring you that you don't need to stress yourself. My best wishes are with you. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so i dont need to freak out if this doesnt go away in a few days?

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Definitely you need to freak. Just get concerned if it increases in size rapidly. Otherwise if it remains there , you don't need to worry. Regards
Dr. Hasan, Doctor