Dr. RK
Dr. RK, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice
14180959

Ive been having lots of trouble over the past week or so at

I've been having lots of trouble over the past week or so at going to sleep. I'm 14. Also, when I am able to sleep, I still feel tired throughout the entire day. What should I do?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,

How long are you having trouble sleeping?
what is the dose of drug you are taking?
did you consult a doctor yet?
do you have any anxiety or worry?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. I've been having trouble I said for about a year.
2. I sometimes take 1 melatonin & other times, I take 2 benadryls.
3. No. I haven't contacted my doctor. That's why I'm here!
4. I might, but I'm not quite sure.
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,

Thank you for the information,

There are some common causes of insomnia like alcoholism, anxiety, depression, hyperthyroidism, post-traumatic stress disorder, etc.

As per your symptoms, the chances of anxiety or depression should be ruled out.The chronic depression may be associated with insomnia and the treatment is with antidepressants along with psychotherapy.

The anxiety if any is also associated with such symptoms.It may be related to examination worry, meeting other people, and other conditions and should be treated.

Though the thyroid abnormalities like hyperthyroidism may also cause insomnia and can be ruled out with serum tsh and t3, t4 levels.

You should also avoid taking alcohol , smoking , excess caffeine, or any other recreational drug if you take so.

Just take the psychiatric consultation about the possibility of any of the above mentioned causes and treatment is according to the underlying condition.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So what exactly do I need to do?

Expert:  Dr. RK replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,

You need to have the blood test done about the thyroid profile, serum calcium and parathyroid levels and get the consultation of a psychiatrist since your insomnia is likely to be related to depression or anxiety.

Meanwhile you should exercise good sleep habits, do relaxation techniques, and go to outdoors for the light therapy and cognitive behavior therapy.

You should also do daily minimum 30 minutes exercise as good exercise promote sleep at night.

Here is the link for more information

lifestyle changes in insomnia

Let me know if you still have any doubt or need any more information.

Thank you
Dr. RK, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. Thanks!