Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities

I am a diebetic and take insulin. My sugar is 577 cant seem

I am a diebetic and take insulin. My sugar is 577 cant seem to get it lower. My legs are weak. what should I do

Hello and Welcome to Just Answer.

Thank you for the question. Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a Medical Internist (who deals with diseases of all the organ systems of body) and I will do my best to find an answer for you.

The blood sugar levels you have mentioned are TOO HIGH.

You are at greatly increased risk of diabetic emergencies (ketoacidosis & hyperosmolar coma), or you might have entered the initial phases of this.

At this point, since you have developed weakness of limbs as well (which can be due to electrolyte imbalance or neurological issues), it is again an indication to get urgent medical attention.

You would require insulin (may be iv) and may also require iv fluids, plus various tests like a blood sugar check from the lab, blood gases to rule out diabetic ketoacidosis and serum osmolality to rule out hyperosmolar state.

If both ruled out, you would still require a brief monitoring until the doctors bring back your sugars to normal.

So go to ER right now, or have some one drive you there.

Drink a lot of water.

I hope this clarifies and answers your question.

I would have been worried too if I were at your place, but let me reassure you that this is a treatable condition and carries a good prognosis with appropriate management.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.