Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

For the past 2 days I have had intermittent stabbing pain on

For the past 2 days I have had intermittent stabbing pain on my right side and also a dull aching spot in the same area. Had a ct scan yesterday and came back negative for stones. What else could cause this pain?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today with your question. I will be happy to assist you with your follow up questions also. I need few details. Where exactly on right side? Is this in line with the belly button or just below rib cage? Any symptoms like burning urination, burping, radiation of pain to right shoulder, indigestion etc? Is there any pain on pressing that area? Have you tried any medicine? Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is pain when pressing on the area -also pain when walking & sitting, worse when walking. Pain is below the rib cage and only on the right side. Have had gallbladder removed, have a fatty liver. No pain in right shoulder, no indigestion or burping. Do have a bladder infection but never have burning when I get a uti and never had this kind of pain with a uti. Emergency room took X-ray yesterday, no bulging disks. What could this possibly be. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Marcia thanks a lot for your input. I am really sorry to hear about your problem. Let me explain the things to you in simple manner. Following structures are there in area below rib cage on right side.
1. Right lobe of liver
2. Gall bladder
3. Duodenum
4. Pancreas
5. A part of colon
6. Muscle & skin
Liver, gall bladder and pancreas should have been evident on CT scan if there was some problem with them. But since you don't have gall bladder and other areas are normal on CT so we can exclude them. Duodenum is part of intestine just after the stomach but your symptoms are not consistent with its diseases. Colon problem is not likely because you don't have symptoms associated with colon diseases. We are left with muscle and skin. So this can be muscular pain according to your symptoms. Specially the aggravation of pain on pressing, walking and sitting makes muscular causes more likely. In such situations OTC tab aleve twice daily and massage of the area with OTC bengay helps a lot. There is one more thing which can cause pain under ribs on right side and that is pain related to lung covering called pleura but with that pain should increase on deep breathing and you should have cough. This is the second likely possibility in your case. However my suggestions are valid for both of them. If symptoms persist then you may need further investigations like MRI. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to assist you always.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for your help. Just a couple more questions. Would sharp pains be related to muscle spasms, that is my concern. I have had pulled muscles before but never the sharp debilitating sharp pain with them. My x-ray at dr office did show colon was very full and started me on Mirilax. Would a full colon cause sharp pains if it wasn't emptying? Thanks again.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Marcia you are most welcome. Yes muscle pains can be sharp many a times. All depends on extent of pull. Sometime a nerve gets compressed with muscle and leads to sharp pain. Well full colon can cause pain but sharp pains really are least likely in it. However you should continue miralax and should follow my suggestions too and i am hopeful that you will feel better soon. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to assist you always.
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery