Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I am pre diabetic and watching my diet very carefully. What

I am pre diabetic and watching my diet very carefully. What should my fasting blood sugar numbers be in the morning?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
HI, Thanks for your question. My name is***** and I am here to help you today with your question. I will be happy to assist you with your follow up questions also. I am going to address your primary concern but you can ask anything else if you want. Your fasting blood sugar levels should be 70 to 100mg/dl (3.9 t0 5.6 mmol/l). Please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to assist you always.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I am limiting sugars and carbs and now it is usually under 100. Sometimes I feel a little weak or shaky upon awakening and I check and it 85 or 90. I know that is not too low but I eat or drink something and feel better. What do you think?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks a lot for your input. You are doing good as far as numbers are concerned. It's not something to be worried to feel like this. It's basically not related to numbers because at 85 one should not feel shaky. Sometime psychological factors matter too so till your numbers remain normal, you should not stress yourself. Keep something on your bed side and take it just after checking your sugar or even just after you start feeling shaky. please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to assist you always.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would having a snack before bedtime help, like yogurt? Also, about a year ago i took metformin for a few months when my fasting blood sugar was about 120 or so. It worked fine but on 2 seperate mornings my blood sugar readings were very low, like 25 one day and 40 another day. I did not feel shaky or weak. My doctor told me to get off of the metformin so I did. Could that have been right? I am worried that if I ever need that medicine again I will not be able to take it.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks a lot for your input. Yes you can take some snack or yogurt before sleep and yes it helps. So far you are doing good without medicines so please don't stress yourself. If at any point there are many other groups of diabetes medicine that can be prescribed to you. Your low sugars were related to high dosage. please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to assist you always.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can those low numbers cause you to pass out? I am worried about that.Are they dangerous?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Yes they were low enough to cause many complications but you were lucky that you remained ok.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you think this could happen again without medication? I check my blood sugar most mornings and it is between 75 and 100.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
I really don't think that this will occur without medicines because normally body itself regulates the levels. It was actually higher dose of medicines which caused that. Regards
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery