Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I have extreme left ear aches, and painful swelling under

I have extreme left ear aches, and painful swelling under the left chin, with suspected inflammation (partial blockage) of the Eustachian tube. 3 visits to my Dr. and an ENT have declared me OK.... ?? How CAN this be diagnosed properly, and what are the possible treatments and/or medications ??
Male: 79 in otherwise good health...NO MEDS..
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JA
If there are no medical findings it is going to be difficult to drain a blocked eustachian tube.

Where is this swelling exactly?

Under the chin in the front?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I apply AIR pressure to the face, the right E-Tube passes air easily, but hardly any in the left tube....

The swelling is UNDER the left chin line, and between that and the bottom of the EAR on the jaw hinge area.

OK
And have you had a course of antibiotics for all of this?
simply use reply
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

NO

OK
The swelling can be from a stone or infection or both in the sub mandibular gland.
A ct would show this or ultrasound.
This can refer pain to the throat and the ER.
Someone has missed something here and I would ask the ENT about this or see another ENT
A stone should be removed or it will keep causing problems.

This is step one.
And a course of antibiotic might be needed as well.

Once this is all considred, I would see a DO, doctor of osteopath to use cranial manipulation to put the movement of the skull bones back into correct relationship, which can help the eustachean tube function and drainage.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.

Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What do you mean ?? What IS a "STONE" in the sub mandibular gland-- which is WHERE ??.

The gland is under the chin where you described.
Sometimes they form stones and swell up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Dr.--But why the extreme ear aches- THAT is the main pain problem to me.-

& What is the relation of the chin's gland --to the middle ear , except the connected Eustachian tube inflammation/blockage ??

If it is not referred pain, which it might be, and the Eustachian tube does not empty, this will cause ear aches, and there can be infection.

So I still think you should see another ENT
Ear aches are not normal

The DO can probably help if they say there are no findings.

Experience: Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc