Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

I just went to see my doctor to get a throat swab and he said

I just went to see my doctor to get a throat swab and he said there was no point because i didnt have any symptoms of strept throat. he said even if it came back positive he wouldnt prescribe me anything since I have no symptoms. I asked him "what if I'm contagious?" And his response was that the bacteria is on everything so it doesn't even matter if it comes back positive or not. Is he right?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.
If you don't have any symptoms then, he is correct, there is no need to treat you.
Antibiotics have risks, and using them without a good reason just ends up breeding bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics.
Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to know if I am contagious, I am visiting my nephew this weekend, he has spinal muscular atrophy. He is very seseptible to illnesses that turn into pneumonia. My sister is very concerned about me going to visit if I don't get tested and it comes back negative. Is there really anything I can do? The reason I wanted to be tested is because my girlfriend tested positive for streptthroat.
Given the circumstances you have just pointed out it is perfectly reasonable for you to have a strep throat test done in order to protect your nephew and keep your sister from going nuts :)
I would find another doctor, tell her what you just told me, and I am sure you will be able to find an MD, either in private practice or in a clinic, who will help you with this very simple request.
I'd do it for you but the swab keeps bending against my computer screen lol!
(Ok. Admit it. That made you smile :)
I wish you the very best.
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I come back positive from the test and without symptoms would I still be contagious?
I can't imagine that it will come back positive when you are completely symptom free... As to if you would be contagious that is determined by when you first have symptoms -- a real Catch 22.
That being said, after taking antibiotics for 24 hours the contagious period is over, no matter when you were infected.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS
PS: There is no reason to be afraid of the excellent feedback button. It won't hurt you, promise...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So should i go see another doctor and get a throat swab, if it is positive I should take the antibiotics? Is it normal for a doctor to not prescribe me antibiotics if I come back positive and have no symptoms? He was also saying that the streptococcus bacteria is on everything and it doesn't matter if I'm negative or positive. If my nephew is going to get it be will get it regardless. Does this make sense?
what the doctor has told you, and you just stated, makes perfect sense.
I personally don't think you need a swab or treatment or that your nephew will be at increased risk if you visit him without these things.
But. What I think doesn't matter -- it is how your sister feels about the entire thing that really is the bot***** *****ne.
I guess it is up to you to either:
1. Convince your sister of the medical logic we have reviewed and enjoy your visit.
2. Get a throat swab and, if positive, start antibiotics 24 hours before your visit.
3. Stay home..
I'll still talk to you after you mash the excellent feedback button....
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC