Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery

Blind pimple or cyst on the side of nose.

I have a blind pimple or cyst on side of nose. I've been trying warm compresses for two Days and its a little better but has not Released any discharge from it. My sister Has Cephalexin 500mg. When I looked it Up on line it mentions if you are allergic To penecilan contact physician first. Well I think I may be allergic to penecilan. I had A reaction at dentist around 25 years ago From what I remember it was a mild redness. I wanted your opinion on if I can take this. I'm leaving for a trip and really don't want To see doc if at all possible.

HI, Thanks for your question. I need few details. Have you taken Cephalexin ever in your life? Is that cyst or pimple soft and compressible or hard?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello Doctor. I'm not sure if I've taken it before. I haven't been on many antibiotics in my life. It's soft and next to bone on side of nose.

Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. Well first of all i would like to tell you that cephalexin is not from penicillin group of antibiotics. Its from first generation cephalosporins group. But still i advise you not to take it for two reasons.
1. Antibiotics should always be taken after consulting a doctor in person.
2. People having allergies to penicillin have quite frequently found to have allergies to cephalosporins also. So you should avoid any risk.
Most of these pimples don't require antibiotics and in such cases OTC tab Advil thrice daily help with these pimples due to its anti inflammatory properties. Lastly warm compresses can be applied. If it ruptures then OTC neosporin antibiotic can be applied on it thrice daily. If symptoms persist then you can consult your doctor to get erythromycin which is safer in such cases.

I wish you good luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The more I look at this pimple or cyst I'm not so sure it is a pimple. It is making the side of my cheek swollen as well. Maybe if u kept my hands off it that would help. Let's say it is a cyst do I have to see a doctor? Can you tell me how to treat at home? Thanks again for your help.

It might not be possible for you to confirm that it's cyst or pimple without examination but most likely it is pimple because cysts don't appear and grow so early. You should not touch this swelling and should take OTC tab advil thrice daily along with warm compresses and if it reduces in size in next 2 days then hopefully it will go away.