Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Hi I have a problem with the glands in my neck. I had flu about

Hi I have a problem with the glands in my neck. I had flu about 3/4 weeks ago and about 5 days afterwards when I ate my glands swelled up on the right side of my face from my earlobe downwards. I assumed it was to do with the flu so left it a week before seeing the doctor. She said it was the saliva gland and when I ate it would swell, she gave me medicine which did nothing, I went back 7 days later and she sent me for scan and ecg... results were clear, no blockage that they could see. I then took anit biotics for 7 days which I finished on 29/3/13.. didn't work, went back to the doctor, who wasn't really sure what to do, so she gave me anti inflammatory pills and pain killers... i'm wondering if you can shed any light on this... thanks Amanda

RickMD :

Internal medicine internship in NYC with two decades of clinical experience. I am online and available to assist you today.

RickMD :

Do you have any weakness in the facial muscles on the side of the swelling

Customer:

No... it only swells when I eat... just one banana and within about 30 seconds it starts to swell, although it then goes down but not totally

RickMD :

Ok. What you are experiencing is swelling of your parotid gland.

Customer:

The last two or three days the swelling has moved upwards from just below my ear to my eye glasses arm

RickMD :

Since none of the treatments your doctor has tried have helped, and you now tell me that it only happens when you eat, I feel very confident that you are suffering from one of the most common problems with this gland....

Customer:

so what do I do... it's very uncomfortable and I can't eat much... not bad if I want to diet but I don't !!

RickMD :

You are most likely suffering from a stone, or a sialolith, blocking the outflow duct of your parotid gland.

Customer:

That's what the doctor thought, hence all these scans... which have shown nothing

RickMD :

This needs to be taken care of sooner rather than later as this condition often leads to serious bacterial infection of the gland. Since your facial nerve goes through this gland, there is then a risk of damaging your facial nerve, leading to facial weakness or paralysis.

RickMD :

You need to be seen by an ENT doctor ASAP

Customer:

I saw the specialist ENT guy last week and he seemed to think it was an infection and that the anti biotics would sort it out

RickMD :

He may be able massage it out if it is small

RickMD :

or he might be able to remove it with a special cannula (sialendoscopy) or you may require a minor surgery.

RickMD :

In any event, you need to see an expert

Customer:

I reckon the swelling is just under 10cm long....perhaps I should call again tomorrow and get another appointment

RickMD :

That is probably because flu is a very common cause of parotid gland inflammation.

RickMD :

From what you are saying now, with the swelling after eating that goes most of the way down later, your glad is blocked until proven otherwise by sialendoscopy.

RickMD :

Ya. That sounds like a good idea. :)

Customer:

typical, I asked if it was connected and they said no !!!! I am also constantly having to blow my nose ever since the flu which has never happened before

RickMD :

And, now we know with the benefit of hindsight, that the antibiotics didn't work :(

RickMD :

Strange that they would say that......oh well, what can you do, eh?

Customer:

yup !! hey ho... never mind I'll go and see the ENT guy again..;

Customer:

Thanks any way you have cleared up some questions anyway.... i'll do you rating now... thanks for your time

RickMD :

Is there anything else I can help you with this afternoon?

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

RickMD :

My pleasure. I hope you feel better soon.

Customer:

no thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I don't normally get ill at all and it's driving me mad !! bye

RickMD :

Bye :)