Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

Trouble sleeping with CPAP.

I am unsure which category this would fall under, but I have been diagnosed with COPD and I was diagnosed in the Hospital. I fell deathly sick and my Brother rushed me to the Hospital and I was comatose for four to five days in ICU. I was told I had an extreme build-up of carbon-dioxide in my system that caused the coma. I tell you this for a little background information. I have been given a CPAP machine, but the problem is when I put it on I feel like I am trying to breath in a tornado. I have yet to fall asleep with the machine. I would like to know is there anything I can do to help me sleep with this mask on. I have layed there for an hour or more and still cannot fall asleep with the mask. I would appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Thank you for your question:

There are two types of machines (or settings on the same machine) - CPAP where the pressure is constant and BiPAP where the pressure fluctuates between inspiration (breathing in) and exhalation (breathing out).

Your lung doctor (pulmonologist) or sleep specialist can try different pressure settings, different types of masks, and/or try switching to BiPAP.

Your experience is not unusual, and it often takes a number of trial and error adjustments before the best setup is established. Don't give up, because once you get the right settings and become accustomed to this device, you will very likely find that you sleep much better, feel much better, and have lots more energy during the day.