Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

My husband had a stroke last thanksgiving. Im needing to know

My husband had a stroke last thanksgiving. I'm needing to know how to handle some left hand tingling /numbness and left foot numbness. Are these new potential Tia ? Or, is this side effects that will come and go for some reason? Any information you can give me will be greatly needed/appreciated! I just don't know if I should be calling 911 when he gets these symptoms/side effects or assure him that this is normal? Is there any medication that can help with this numbness - it happens at the same time to hand and foot on left side.
Also- I'm very concerned that he electively decided to stop taking Xanax after 2 years of about 1-2 mg a day. Is this dangerous seizure or other neurological problems from withdrawal? His drs have said nothing about the potential dangers of "cold turkey" withdrawal of benzodiazepines. Please help clarify for me, thank you so much!
Hi. I am online and available to help you. Thank you for your patience.

When did these new symptoms start?

How long do they last?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The tingling and numbness started like a week or so after his stroke, maybe even longer like 3 weeks after it happened. He also said when under stress and feeling high blood pressure, he felt it more often.
After rest, a good nights sleep, it goes away for the most part.

Question, does stroke typically occurre from stress or would you say it's more dietary or genetic?

He is overweight too, about 50 pounds overweight too:/

Stress, in and of itself, does not cause a stroke. That being said, it can raise blood pressure and certain chemicals in the body that can contribute to the overall health issues that makes a stroke more likely.

But, as you pointed out, diet, health conditions like high blood pressure and genetics play a much larger role in stroke.

Of course, shedding his extra pounds would be helpful too...

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So would you say his diet, lifestyle, and hereditary traits basically cause strokes? I'm just wanting to better understand. A stroke is a Tia they said. Is it where a blood vessel erupts in the brain - because they are weak or damaged by stress, cholesterol plaques? What makes the vessel explode anyway? My husbands was non bleeding kind-what happened ? They said non dominant parietal stroke that affected peripheral vision in left eye but other than that he's not any much more. Here's where I am so blown away- hospitals don't treat anything other than physical. Nobody told me one thing about the fact that near the stroke area he had are places that house and facilitate sensativity, motivation, personality- he's acting like jeckle and Hyde! His mood swings are so scary! He's become aggressive and hypersensitive. Emotional over the top public outburst, vulgar scenes- is this collateral damage ? Is it normal to tell n or show on MRI the areas of stroke in the brain and explain the respective function located in that area on the MRI is where things like personality are located? I still want too see how large/deep the damages are and comparison to the books-see a graph or chart that maps out the brain, sections off the brains functions so I can see," oh, this is clearly what damaged brain looks like, it appears to be spread over the areas ....." I'm confused why the drs never mentioned anything about this emotional/mental damages. Will those recover- like learning to walk again in some stroke cases, what would the equivalent exercise, so to speak, be for mental or psychological damages?
How would drugs like methamphetamine affect his having a stroke? Would you say that if he took some that that drug is indicative of causing strokes? He hasn't had that for a long time though
What about Xanax-benzos? He just stopped everything-I suggested to taper the Xanax cuz the seizure potential-after stroke would a seizure make him a vegetable? Thank u!