Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

I have ongoing pain in my left shoulder where I cant put any

I have ongoing pain in my left shoulder where I can't put any weight on. I have had several massage therapy sessions which did not help. My PFC told me it was my ca joint and had a cortisone injection 2 weeks ago. Since then my left hand goes numb when I try and sit with my arm crossed or resting on a table or raising my arm. I also cannot bend my neck backwards without extreme pain by my armpit. I have had herniated discs in my neck however had an MRI in feb and this time it showed no disc herniation (previous mri's which are several showed both herniated and no herniation. My neck is also quite sore and decreased rom. Could the cortisone injection cause the numbness and pain.
Thank you
Hi. I am online and available to help you. Thank you for your patience.

When did the pain start?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
About 2 months ago and progressively getting worse. Sorry I took so long in replying to you

No problem. My computer is not going anywhere ;)

Where did he inject the cortisone? I'm not exactly clear on that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The top of my shoulder just behind theclar bone
this should not cause the numbness and pain you are experiencing, unless it was placed in the wrong area.

The fact that your left hand goes numb with certain, and multiple, positions of your arm and you are experiencing such intense pain when you bend your neck is very concerning to me.

I am worried that you could end up with permanent nerve damage if you don't have this checked out and, if necessary, the pressure taken of the affected nerves.

I would suggest you contact a neurologist in the very near future and have your arm checked out.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was At a neurologist who did a nerve conduction study and all was ok. However the numbness only started a few weeks ago. Is there a particular c spine level that would cause the pain under my arm and the numbness

Yes. C5 to C8 and T1, possibly involving a group of nerves called the brachial plexus.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.